Time saving idea for Trimming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guys walk around a yard a spot-dab a shot here and there of Round-up Pro in the spring so that as you continue to do the maintenance of the yard all spring, summer and fall, you would have very little "difficult" trimming to do?

If you do do this, do you bill the customer for a "$5.00 Application fee" for the pint or quart of solution you used, or do you just let it go, knowing that you'll make that up in time by simply not HAVING to trim along some stupid split-rail wooden fence every single cut all season long...

I really like that idea of carefully working a yard in the spring or as needed so that the trimming time is nearly minimal (around mailboxes, telephone poles, fire hydrants, etc etc..)

Thanks,
    Gary

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I like the idea but would never dream of doing it on any of my lawns except the total weed dump types. It looks soooooo bad to see nice green then the pale brown there.. not me sorry.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Why not spray a PGR instead of a non selective herbicide? A PGR will give you less growth, but more green. A non selective herbicide just gives you death, and a window of opportunity for weeds to germinate.

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We spray along chain link fences. Its a bear to trim along them.

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I install "trim Friendly" edging & do mulch modifications to certain banked trees in the spring to all new accounts at no charge. Round-up is used on chain link. Trimming should be eliminated as much as possible due to its labor intensive nature.

6. If you charge for it, you get paid for it...........

7. You can't do it even if you wanted to.

If you do it right, you can't see ant brown patches of grass.

Anyone want to know the secrect, you know how to get a hold of me.

8. PGR's are just as costly as labor.

Many yellow so bad it's about the same.

9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I never thought of it as any kind of secret, but you can't see ugly brown patches where I've done this. I simply cut the dead growth out of the areas & keep those areas to a bare minimum. When you look, you see beautiful green, then the object. Maybe in a bigger killed area you might see some soil before your eye sees the object. I factor the RU applications into my pricing for the contracts.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Uh-oh LGF is post farming again :p ;)

I have never tried it because everyone does it what you call "wrong" so I didn't want to try. I never knew there was a way to do it where you couldn't see it. I don't have an applicator's license anyway so I won't bother this year.