Time Saving Techniques/Products

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bmwsmity, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

So last year I did my first irrigation job (I'm mainly a lighting guy), and this year I'm focusing much more on irrigation due to the economy...

The spreadsheet I use spec'd the job out at around 67 hours, but it took me over 90 hours, mostly due to inexperience and doing things the long way (not using things such as Blazing saddles, using regular wire nuts, among other things).

How about a thread on how to save labor time & costs using various techniques and products?

2. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

We use experience.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Once you can walk the site with the client and come up with a zone count and
    a price on the spot, you are ready for prime time.

4. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

You just listen w/o looking at the flow rate of water coming out of a hose spigot to know the GPM available, huh? :rolleyes:

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Tell us how to save time on lighting work first. Fair is fair.

6. TRILAWNCARE

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Got any pictures of that irrigation install??? We all love pictures.

On question. If you are a lighting guy. You must know that corrosion is wires worst enemy, especially outdoors. Why would you use regular wire nuts???? Do you wire your lights this way also. Or perhaps this is to assure regular service calls when the connections fail.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Take whatever you come up with in your head and double it. :laugh:

8. bmwsmity

Male, from Ohio

I need to clarify...I used King Connector silicone filled nuts....instead of Blazing wire connectors, which are faster and less cumbersome.

I would NEVER use a non silicone filled connector of any sort ;)

9. bmwsmity

Male, from Ohio

Insightful, thanks for the info. :hammerhead:

Granted, I'm new to the irrigation side of this forum...so some poking fun is in order I suppose, but I also started this thread so everyone reading can benefit, not just me. :drinkup:

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

More of that goes on than you'd realize here in Irrigation Heaven. Don't take it personal.