Time Saving Tip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelbuts, May 11, 2003.

1. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

In honor of my 200th post I thought I would share a time (money) saving tip.

I see all these trailers with a five pound spool of trimmer line on their line rack.

Take it off!!! Take it all off!!! That's right that huge spool of line is costing you money.

Go and buy one extra weedeater spool for each weedeater you carry on the trailer. Spool them in the morning (or evening) before you go afield. When you are on those big yards just put it in your back pocket. When you run out, pull it out and replace it right there. You know the spool always runs out at the far end of your property, or when you have ten feet left to trim.

This will save you time and money as you do not have the walk back to your trailer, the time spooling your line, and the walk back to where you left off. I assume that you always look at each job with the purpose of finishing your weedeating at or close to where you began. Oh, BTW constant exposure to the sun will shorten the useful life of your trimmer line.

Have a great day and thank you for allowing me to post 200 times.:blob3: :blob3: :blob3: :D

2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what i do. Got four spools for my Echo, keep'em in the tool box along with a small 1lb roll of line I use just in emergency. The 5lb spool is back at the shop. Just bought a Shindaiwa, need to get some extra spools for it. Marc

nelbuts, congrats on your 200th post, but you got a long way to go to catch LGF, LOL

3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i do too, i'm also gonna start pre cutting a bunch of those lengths we roll up in our pockets in the mornings while gassing everything up for the first round. lots of small time saving ideas like this will determine weather you have a 8 yard day or a 14 yard day.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Just keep a few extra trimmer heads in your toolbox. Like that it doesn't give you a lot of down time. Just switch the heads over and that's it. Reload it when you have some time to kill during the day... if your guy mowing is taking a little longer than you, whatever. Before you start on a large job, check how much line you have, or just switch over to a brand new head. Switch back to your old head later in the day when you need more line. All up to you though.

5. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

you guys must have a lot of free time. when i have to respool a weedeater head, i consider that an earned 5 min break: a good time to get a sip of water and go for it again. Pre cut lenghts of line will save lots of time but I'm not carrying it in my pocket...
    LA LAWNS

6. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, having extra spools already loaded does save time, and it's always nice to taste that cold water...

Lou :cool:

7. nelbuts

from SW, FL

Actually, I started using the gas or task rule. I never go back to the truck for a drink or anything unless one or two things happen.
    1. When I run out of gas on a weed eater, hedge trimmer then I go back.
    2. When I finish the task I go back.

If you go back before then you are wasting time.

I always start each commercial job with a full tank. I never change weedeater spools unless they are empty. That is why I carry the spool with me so I save time. In fact in some of the properties we did we would place a can of two cycle at a predetermined location so as to fill up without the walk back to the truck. One year on one job we saved about 25-28 hours for the year on that one idea.

Difference between 8-14 yards. Well on Monday I will do 25 if not stopped by rain. There are a couple of over sized yards but most are 1/4 acre.

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Not to get into a big arguement here, but wouldn't leaving a gas tank of 2 cylce somewhere unattended be a major liability?

9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

ummm...la lawns, i'm not sure where you got your free time assessment from but i think we were talking about maximizing productivity. personaly i don't carry a spool in my pocket though i do keep an extra in the van , however i do carry two cut lengths of line in my pocket which i usually cut when i grab the weed wacker, my new thought was to go ahead and cut about 10 or 12 lengths in the morning before i pull out, then i dont have to spend time cutting it on the job and can change line right where it gives out instead of making a trip back to the truck. drinking water has nothing to do with changing line since i've never been able to master doing both at one time. i grab a shot of water whenever i'm near the van for whatever reason, as for a well deserved five minute break, no way (mabey on a brush job or cleanup), that comes on my way to the next job while i'm soaking up that chevrolet ac and transfering that check from my other pocket to my wallet. as for anyone who can deal with a loaded spool in their pocket, my hats off to you , you're one step ahead of the game! ~the scaper~

10. nelbuts

from SW, FL

Nope. Not anymore than leaving it unlocked on your trailer, or how about those mowers with the keys still in them while you work around the back of the house.

Actually we would drop off the fuel and one guy with an edger, go to the other end park trailers and one guy would start edging in the other direction. Fuel was kept next to the irrigation pump house.

Oh and don't forget any chemicals that may be on trailers unlocked.

:D