TIME SAVING TIPS FOR A SOLO PERSON

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Feb 28, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE JUST STARTED TIMING MY SELF DOING LAWN CARE MOW TRIM EDGE BLOW OFF SURFACES MY BEST TIME IS 28 MINUTES USING A SUPER Z 52 IN RIDER BP BLOWER ECHO WEEDWACKER ECHO STICK EDGER ON A 80X124 FT LOT IS THIS A GOOD TIME FOR THIS TYPE OF LOT IS THERE ANY GOOD TIME SAVING TIPS THAT I COULD USE TO BE MORE EFFECTIVE......

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Not being cute or nothing.The best time savor for
    me is to allow enough time to get it right the first
    time.Its easy to put so much on yourself that you
    rationalise about quality.I was once passing a lawn I DO
    when my wife pointed out a poorly done yd.She said you
    shouldnt have much trouble getting that yd.You guessed it
    it was my yd.

3. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

OPS SORRY I JUST WANTED TO GET A FEW TIPS ON CUTTING MY TIMES ON THE JOB NOT CUTTING ANY CORNERS I ONLY WANT TO GET SOME GOOD POINTERS.........I AM DOING THIS SOLO AND NEED TO GET FASTER ON EACH SITE.....

4. turfcat75

turfcat75 LawnSite Member

time saver: get a bigger mower and keep the blades sharp ,sharp blades let you you go faster with a good cut

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I agree i work at my own pace and i dont leave a yd untill ive done the best job i could. Not bragging but my work is very good and im proud to put my name on it. Thats why im in business not to be fast but to do the best i can. I would not want new carpet put in because it was put in very fast.Id want the guy to take the time and get it right. Ive seen some cutters do yrs in 7min. But the end result was not much to look at. Marks Mowing Service

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Carefully plan your trimming route out. Every yard has a starting point and a finish point. There is only one route that can be taken that is the shortest route. Plan it out, plan all your breakoff points (for trees and such) then get right back on your line. Every time you come in and do this yard, every move should be the same. Just like clockwork. THAT'S proficiency!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Your in FL, so the best thing for speed and motivation is getting out of the heat and humidity as soon as possible. Works great for me.

If you side discharge then double blades will help also. It will keep you from having to double cut anything due to appearance.

Take the trimmer guard off. This will speed your time up tremendously. I didn't believe it. Around Sept of last year I decided to try it. Was is surprised? It makes a big difference.

8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

One tip I picked up on here is always keeping an extra trimmer head wound up. Another, which is not always possible and shoold be common sense, is to plan the most efficient driving route.

jeffyr

9. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

And what is the deal with taking the gaurd off the weed wacker?

10. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

The deal with the trimmer guard off is- the trimmer is alot lighter and you can also trim around objects while standing in one place, not walking a circle around the object. (tree or pole)