Time Saving Tricks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mueller Landscape Inc, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Friends,

I haven't seen this thread before. I thought it would be interesting to see what others do to save time on the job.

For instance, buying a used ice-machine and providing ice for your crews can save countless hours. When you add up all those 10 minute stops to the local carry out store by 1,2, or 3 man crews.... well do the math!

How about you?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We always fuel all trucks and equipment at the end of the work day before going back to the shop. I would rather pay a little extra for windshield time after operations have ceased then loose precious time during the day.

Kris

3. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

thats the best tip you can get fuel everything up b4 u call it a day equiptment your truck i always do that .i hate haveing to wait to pull in with my triler so i fuel up definately the nite b4 unless im being real lazy .

4. Mueller Landscape Inc

Ok, Does anyone have any tricks for servicing properties. Lets say that you perform all the duties at a commercial complex or a residential house. You mow, edge, trim, deal with the weeds etc. I know most of you probably carry some hand held pruners on your belt. Does anyone carry anything else that you could use without having to go back to the truck? How about the order in which you perform the tasks. Do you trim shrubs after you mow or before? etc...

Every trade has "tricks of the trade" what are yours?

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

great ? no doubt "windshield" time is hard to beat....but here's a thought.....I try to trade services with any vendor or way I can .....it may sound silly but this creates a non taxable income...I trade with my truck detail guy to keep the trucks nice....my CPA is paid for by doing her lawn....I know a great mechanic - welder I can trade with when I need repairs ....sky's the limit if you can sell the idea to another business owner ....I got lots of printing by doing a side job as payment

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Some things that work for us:

Pack our lunch for the day.

Keep an inventory of parts for minor breakdowns with us on our trailer.

Definitely fueling up the night before.

Have at least two trimmers on your rack so you never have to wind a spool.

And NO convenience store stops.

Jodi

7. Mueller Landscape Inc

Alright now were talking...

How about this.... using a seperate belt to hold your pruning shears you can also attach a cordless drill holder. In that holder you can hang a hedging shear. Saves time when you need to trim those bushes that have grown out of shape a little. No more need to walk back to the truck and start up the gas-powered shears just to trim that one bush. The time it took to walk back to the truck was all the time needed to trim that bush.

8. kutnkru

Make sure that you are utilizing your equipment properly.

If you could use a 36 instead of a bobcat 21" DO IT! If you can jocky a 48 through a gate instead of driving a 36 right thru ... DO IT! Each minute you save goes to the bottom line.

As for refreshment breaks, furnish a 5 gallon cooler for water breaks and some cups. We also put a BIG cooler with gator/power aide and energizer bars on the trailer. They're thirsty or hungry after mowing ... They grab an item and jump in the truck ... Thirst quenching mini break between jobs!!!

Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 01-07-2001 at 11:39 PM]

9. kutnkru

Keep your hedge shears/loppers behind your seat in your cab,

Keep a tool box full of generic brand tools on your truck, with spare filters, throttle cable, wd40 and plugs too.

Kris

10. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I you have padlocks on you equipment racks use the 4 tumbler combination locks. Their faster than dial combination locks and you don't have dig in your pocket for your key every time you need something off the rack. Plus you can easily change the combination if you fire someone on the crew.

Jay