Time sheets

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by D Felix, Feb 14, 2005.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Wondering what everyone uses for time sheets....

We use one form for landscape maintenance, and one for installs. We are better about filling out the maintenance forms than the installs, but hope to get better.

I don't have the files for either one here at home, but I'll try to get them and post in the next week or so. Both are pretty simple and straightforward, though we might make the install sheet a little more in-depth in the near future.

It would be good if everyone that had them could post them so we can see what other's look like.

Dan

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we just start an excell printed sheet
    date?times/materials....
    problem, like you have is actually filling them out.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

i pay by what we call overhere a day rate ,it could be 4 hours work or 8 my crew get the same day rate day in day out,so i have no need for a time sheet ,we obviosly have a job discription sheet though that describes the day's job and the equipment needed ,

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Dan ...I emailed them home but I can't seem to figure out how to post them.

I'll try and explain it .... we have codes for almost every task. The foreman is required to enter times for each task and times each day.

example ...
    base work 1
    pavers 2
    earth work 3

name task

1 2 3

tom 3hr 4hr 2hr

edit....didnt come out the way I typed it ... if you like I will fax a copy

6. kris

from nowhere

This was my attempt at converting our codes to word program...didnt come out the way I copied it.... can probaly figure out the codes

Worksheet Codes 2004 Landscaping

Task Code

Paving stone 1a Base Work
    & related items 1b Laying Paving Stones
    1c Paving Stone bed edger
    1d Stepping Stones

Stone walls 2a Base Course work
    & planters 2b 2nd course & higher
    2c Capstones

Wood 3 All Wood Work
    2x6 edger, wood planters, wood walls, arbors, trellis's etc

Sodding 4a Soilmix & preparation
    4b Sodding(includes seeding)

Plant Material 5 Planting, placing, watering
    trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals

Water Features 6 Ponds, fountains
    includes: excavation, liner, boulders, and all aspects of the pond.
    Mulching 7a fabric installation
    7b Wood and rock mulch installation
    7c poly edger, shovel cut edge
    7d Boulders
    7e Weeping Tile trench / pit

Earthwork 8a Excavation: clay, soil, sod, shrub removals
    8b Sod removal with sod cutter
    8c Garden Mix installation for shrub beds

Warrantee Work 10 Any repair and warrantee work for our customers

Trucking 11 Hauling materials (anything we haul in trucks.)

General Conditions 12 travel time, clean-up, supervision, mobilization, unloading
    trucks, safety meetings, work sheets, etc.

Tree Farm 14

Work at yard 15 around shop & yard

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Kris
    Looks like you guys break down your daily tasks quite a bit. Is it a pain to keep track of if you're running a large crew involved with various types of work on one job or no? I assume it helps quite a bit w/ having specific times for pricing potential jobs???
    We have somewhat of a similar worksheet where you put Job Name, Date, Job complete or Not Complete, Job Manager, and then a detailed description of what tasks you performed. Below that are a series of lines for crew member names w/ time in and out. Next to that are boxes labelled 1-10. 1 is all billable landscape construction, 2 is maintenance, 3 is mowing, 4 is hydroseeding, 5 is vehicle repair and maintence, 6 is small equipment maintenance, 7 large equipment repair and maintenance, 8 is nursery,office, barn improvements, 9 is property management, and 10 is ????? well I can't remember 10 sorry. But you get the just of it.
    Below that is a similar area for large equipment use and then below that is a materials area. The materials section asks for quantity used, size, product, and nursery inventory code if applicable. All of our nursery stock is tagged with company labels w/ an identification code for the ladies in the office as it comes in. It makes it much easier for them as they don't know plant names, botanical or common, very well.
    I think I will talk w/ the rest of the staff and see what they think about breaking the work down further as you do. I can see how it could be very beneficial for pricing.
    We also have work tickets printed out on Slice that does actually break everything down for you as priced. Base prep and excavation, laying pavers or wall, etc etc. We do have a lot of contract jobs w/ Slice work tickets that turn into T&M (because of major add ons) throughout the job though and they then get recorded on the general hand written work ticket.
    I'll be interested to see what others do
    Mark

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

So what do you do with those sheets then, kris?

I assume you have a specific program that someone in your office uses that translates those codes into billing/tracking?

9. kris

from nowhere

It is not as bad as it looks ... our crews are usually 3-4 man size unless 2 crews are put together on a larger project. The Foreman usually fills it out while the rest of the crew cleans up tools/site at the end of the day. These are always filled out....it is not negotiable and they are put on my desk each night for review.
    There is also a spot for all equipment / trucks and materials used. They don't list any of the shrub material unless there is changes from the original bid.

We probably have about 10 years worth of information that is used for production rates/bidding.

From my desk they go to a gal in the office that enters all the information that is used for job costing.

Maintenance work sheets are nothing like this ... a small two copy sheet that lists the property,what was done,who was there and the times (times are only on our copy). There is also a spot where the foreman/woman can write anything that needs attention .... great for upselling. One copy is left with the customer if possible.
    These times are also entered daily for job costing.

10. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark, I think we probably have some of the same problems. I may have a large crew on a site, but they do many different jobs at different houses on that site throughout the day. Sometimes, back and forth from one house to another. It is difficult to track time for each task at each house on my two commercial sites. Currently, I am working on a new time sheet. Nobody would benefit from seeing the one I am using until the new one is complete.