time to advertise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 29, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

now that its getting hot, and the scrubs equipment has all broken down from cutting wet grass for 3 months, and they are scratching thier heads trying to figure out why after working thier butts off for 3 months, they have lost money, it is a great time to snatch up some customers. im getting lots of calls like this:" can u give me an estimate , my guy just stopped showing up, i dont know what happened. " or, "he did a great job for the first month or so, then he became unreliable, and when he did cum, he would skip the edging etc." and im not even advertising. i think its a good time to put the add back in the paper, u think?
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes....I had planned on passing out door hangers this week. Just yesterday got a call from a guy yesterday that was confused. He thought I mowed his lawn and was wondering when I was coming next, since I did not show up the day before. I told him that I did not mow his lawn, but recognized his name (must of gave him an estimate for something in the spring) and I would be happy to be of service to him.

Anyway, your're right, it's getting hot and the weak ones are dropping out of the race.

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I've had about 8 people come up to me in the last 5 days while I'm working one of my accounts. They all have said that they have seen me do great work and want to know how much I'd charge them. All were totally PISSED at their current LCO. Wow! That's like the ultimate compliment to me, to have a neighbor of one of your accounts ask to me to work for them. Unfortuanately, I'm booked for the year. I've had two take my number and flier for next year!
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

right now we are still accepting a lot of customers, but in regards to advertising we are kind of on hold..just because we are going to have a major business situation happen here soon.
  5. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

Do you guys think it would be better to put out fliers or place an ad in the paper? I need about 20 accounts.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you need 20 accounts like right away, I would first look for referrals from current customers, friends, family, and then I would go door to door to sell my services before I put something in the paper or use fliers. I have always had a poor response from newspapers, fliers, postcards...basically any direct mailing technique.
  7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yourself a favor and have doorhangers printed. They work. I paid $140.00 for 1,000 of them at the local print shop and they are dynamite. Very professional. They also let you zero in on your target clients. I think, and have also had people tell me they make a better presentation than fliers.

Just know that you'll get anywhere from 2-4 calls for every 100 or so that you put out. I had my 8 yo daughter and a couple of her friends do doorhangers for me a number of times. I pay them .25 for each hanger. Hey, they get paid well & if I land one account (have landed a number of them) everyone is happy. The kids have a great time doing it - I gave each of them one of my company hats to wear while making the rounds.
  8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

BG, you are so accurate,
    Folks calling, wanting bids, I show up & get hired on the spot.
    Seems they've already gone through two new LCOs they hired this year "hasn't done anything but cut the grass".

No edging, no trimming, small hedge now growing in cracks of driveway.
    I tell them first time is ____, then it'll be ___, if done weekly.
    Sure when can you start.

Definitely a case(s) of scabs unintentionally drumming up business for me.
  9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I gave up on newspaper ads. What a waste of time. Fliers or hangers are the most cost effective way. Also, offer you existing customers a free cut with any referral that results in a contract. You can potentially double your business that way!
  10. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I ask each customer who calls how they heard about me. I have yet to have one tell me it was the newspaper ad. Always flyers or referrals. I'm not doing any more newspaper ads. Too expensive and useless. I print my own flyers and that works fine. If you can do that or have someone you know do it, it will save money. Otherwise, pay someone to come up with a good flyer and get lots of copies. I teach computer software and desktop publishing so I can do my own and I have a good laser printer so it only costs me about $5.00 to print 1000 flyers - I use half sheets and cut them on a good paper cutter. Saves paper and money.