Time to aerate or not quite yet?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, Mar 9, 2008.

1. I'm in myrtle beach, SC and I put down the first crab grass prevention and the grasses are greening up. My clients all want their lawn aerated. The guy at lesco said he would wait till june but will it hurt to do it now? :confused: Thanks guys

2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

you can aerate anytime the weather will allow. Before the fast growing season (spring) is best. That is so the soil can start moving around and loosen up for the roots to really grow fast. Also get some fert down early so it will soak in. The combination of loose soil and fert will send the roots deeper faster. Loose soil and food the roots will go after it. Late season is also ok as long as you have the water available. Problem with late season aeration (june/july) is the open soil and loose water faster on hot dry days.
    Turfcobob

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

screw the guy at Lesco, If its greening up your coming into the prime growing season , that is the best time.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Do some Googling. If I recall from the last time I investigated this, you want the lawn in full blown growth cycle -- not just coming out of dormancy. This varies with species, and of course, local climate. I know that I have been advised by knowledgeable zoysia people not to aerate until my lawn is fully green and growing strongly. Here in southern Missouri, that means late April early May. Cool season grasses that start their growth cycle earlier will be ready for aeration earlier. The fescue will kick in here in a couple weeks, and likely be ready for aeration by the last week of the month or the first of April.

If you haven't cut it a couple times already this year, I would wait to aerate until you have.

6. Thanks guys. I posted it on commercial lawns too so I forgot this was on here. Sorry I didnt get back sooner but thanks for the advice :)