1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time to aerate or not quite yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, Mar 9, 2008.

1. I'm in myrtle beach, SC and I put down the first crab grass prevention and the grasses are greening up. My clients all want their lawn aerated. The guy at lesco said he would wait till june but will it hurt to do it now? :confused:Thanks guys
  2. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

Preemergant down -- no aeration for you. I would not do it on yard till fall. Aeration will destroy your preemergant.
  3. I put down a 0-0-7 pre emergent. Dimension pre emergent from lesco and they said to put down another one which is more fertilizer but still a pre emergent in late april so will that make a difference or no? If I didnt put the fert. down on the lawn yet will it hurt? Thanks so much;)
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We have university test documentation on here about this. Aeration will NOT break the barrier or affect the pre-emergent control. If you must do it here in spring, have at it...it won't hurt a thing.
  5. Thank you so much runner :)
  6. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing that it may hurt is the weak tender grass but I have been doing it here in nc since late feb and it is working good! It will not damage anything.