time to air it out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tim cooper, May 29, 2002.

1. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

Evening guys, a quick question. A friend of mine asked me about his yard... It looks horrible. Needs dethatching (at least). I looked up in search engine a few people stating that there have been some studies stating that dethatching actually does more harm than good, and state that aerating only needed.

My question is this. It is almost June. Will aerating this time of year harm the lawn? Also considering overseeding when I aerate (if aeration is needed). Thanks:confused:

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I did 6 aerations yesterday .. shouldn't hurt it, so long as it has enough growing time left in the season to recover. Seeding is usually a good idea, I think, if it's kinda thin.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Most of the advice was probably given for northern turfgrass which would have different requirements than southern grasses.

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have aerated all season long. In my opinion some body that says it would hurt the lawn this time of year is just repeating an old wives fable.
    One other opinion, there doesn't need to be a study that says dethatching is hard on the lawn. I can see it in yards of mine that were done this year against my advice. Their yard still looks terrible. And here it is the end of May.