Time to clear 1,000 square feet of leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by greenchoppers, Feb 22, 2011.

1. greenchoppers

greenchoppers LawnSite Member

Hello,

Anyone have an average or estimate to clear 1,000 square feet of leaves on a lawn? We do not have a leaf vacuum...everything picked up by hand.

We haven't done many leaf jobs and was just thinking perhaps 1-hour per 1,000 square feet is about average with 2-people.

Does that sound about right?

2. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you asking how long it will take? 1000 square feet is only 20X50 and although it is a small area, variables like beds area, Is there ivy or ground cover? do you have a blower and how powerful to get out of bushes or are you just trying to rake around all of them?

Are there enough oak trees surrounding that it is 2 feet deep in leaves? etc.....

No one can give you a good answer based on your info.

3. greenchoppers

I am trying to come up with an average. I don't mean to give any specific job information because it is not about one job.

Let's narrow it down a little more....wide open area; no ground cover, not even grass (just dirt); 10-foot radius flower beds around trees; leaves are 3 inches thick on average. Blow leaves in a big pile, then rake to collect.

4. greenchoppers

Yes, i am asking for average time to clear leaves in this amount of area.

5. CircleC

CircleC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW

mow it up with my Navigator....15 min($45)

Raking with 2 dudes...$70. $35 per man hour. Thats what I would do....

6. greenchoppers

Thank you.

7. Agape

well, 3 inches deep will be quicker to rake into piles than to try to blow into piles and 2 guys and a tarp is faster than two guys with buckets.

And two guys that do a lot of leaves will be faster than 2 who haven't done many leaves at all............

.........This is why I don't give estimates over the phone, which is kind of what you're asking us to do.

What you think is 1000 Sf. may be 1500, and what you think is 3" may be 5".....etc...

What I can tell you is to bid for the worst case scenario- what you think 2 guys can do in an hour often turns out to be an hour and 45 minutes, (which means instead of paying $30 in labor, you're paying $52.50- which is significant if you only charge $100 based on two man hours and dumping)Also, you have to pay for your guys to go to the dump and unload etc... so plan, charge enough for problems and get some experience and you will know exactly how long it will take you to do such a job.

I was just throwing out easy numbers for examples by the way, your numbers may vary.

8. greenchoppers

I am not asking for an estimate over the phone, I don't do those either. If I say it is for 1,000 square feet, it is for 1,000 square feet because I measured it with my measuring wheel and I own a calculator to calculate square footage. I do know a little about what in the world I am doing here.

Nevermind, I'll find what I am looking for elsewhere.

9. Agape

I have a $150 minimum for any job as I have to pay for fuel and my workers to drive to and from the site and to dump if it's one single weed, or 15 minutes with a navigator and I spent a fortune getting my name out etc...

10. CircleC

CircleC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW

How do you figure $150. Soooo...does that mean you are charging $75 per man hour. Dude....you got some "HIGH" over head. Good luck....I see you are in OR. Hit me up when you are selling your dump truck....gotta keep that over head low...ask PROCUT how that high over head is treating him.