1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Time to fertalize?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mwalz, Sep 6, 2013.

1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my clients has zoysia grass and want's it fertilized this fall. When is the best time to do this? What fertilizer should i use? I'm around the St. Louis area and we have gotten probably 2" or rain since the beginning of July. It's been really dry here. Anyways any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Zoysia is a warm season grass that is best fertilized when it is VERY actively growing. With this dry weather and Fall dormancy knocking on the door...it would probably be better to wait until next June.

Check with your State Extension office for regional advice. If MO is like KS, they will have archives of great info about what to do and when to do it. Also, just a suggestion, but KS has a Horticultural eNewsletter that is delivered to ones email account on a weekly basis with lots of seasonal tips and suggestions w/o any sale's pitches. Perhaps MO has the same?