time to fess up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by turfman59, Sep 13, 2005.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I started in this business 5 years ago, out of the trunk of my 1990 grand prix, with a rented trencher hooked to the back and a 5 gallon pale full of tools and fittings. My first job was 16 heads in a business associates front yard,

Wow that was very humbling,

Looking back, I will never forget the feeling I had going to that job site, It was one of the happiest days of my professional life after 22 years at retail.

I still get that same feeling every time I go to a Job or estimate. It carries the day and transmits to the customers..... Even though some of my post may be critical to the new guys thinking about doing this business, My advice is don't let anybody steal your dream......anyone can do this business if they have a passion for it.....

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I still get excited when I see a system fired up for the first time. And I feel likey that I actually enjoy my job even though we put up with a bunch of BS day in and day out. I think once I lose that feeling I will reconsider if all the BS is worth it.

3. turfman59

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

turfman.... I wasn't going to bring this up because it looks like I'm picking a fight but since we're on the topic of looking back I thought it'd be interesting to get your opinions on how you changed your mind about buying a compressor (your signature says you have a 185cfm)

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=56468&highlight=blowouts

that's from a few years ago... to tell you the truth I didn't even hesitate in buying the best used 185cfm I could find because if I'm going to stay in this industry I KNOW it will be better in the long run...

maybe it's the Econ major talking but I'm a big fan of investing early

5. turfman59

A friend of mine was retiring and he had two of them , $900.00 bought the best of the 2 he had. I guess prayer helped me on that one because the rental store had them all booked up until the end of october..... I had to do it. I rather be lucky than good.....

Also got 200ft of 1 1/4 hose with it

6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i spent 20 years on and off doing phone support for computers. made a bunch of money.
    god i hated it at the end.

i love laying the system out and imagining how it all will work. and i love getting the check from the owner.

and i love getting up in the morning some days and saying "huh, I think I'll go line out the crew, then go drink coffee this morning for a while."

last year was my first system, done long before i found this site. this year we installed sprinklers and lawns in about 54 houses.

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Time to fess up, eh? Okay, my first install was at my own place and for the most part everything went smooth with the installation of - at that time - six zones (one drip). I flushed out the lines, installed the heads, and was ready to fire up the system. Going to the controller I proudly turn on zone 1 and run outside to watch it come alive...

Waiting... waiting... "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle." Small trickles of water begin to bubble out from the heads.

"That's it?" I wondered. "Oh no!" I cried out. But in acutality I offered up some more colorful words to the imaginary beings that tricked me into wasting my time and money with such a dimwitted project. "This is terrible!"

Then it finally hit me. "The nozzles! I forgot to install the nozzles!" And glory behold there was still life in the system, but now my nerves were shot. One by one the nozzles were inserted and then once again it was crunch time. I chewed on a fingernail as I told the controller one more time to turn on zone 1, but this time I didn't run outside. If I remember correctly, I sort of crept.

What a site and sound as all of the R-50 heads popped up and began to spray out water; gears audibily waking up from their long slumber. "There be life! There be life!" I shouted, and it was good.

And on the seventh day I rested - while today I fess up.