Time to fill spray tank?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawns of KY, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Lawns of KY

Lawns of KY LawnSite Member

I have to fill my 200 gallon spray tank 15 times for applications. Where is the best place to fill the tank? How quick can it be filled? Do your customers allow you to fill it on their property? I have all commercial and industrial properties. I am trying to figure out if it is cost and time saving enough to purchase.

2. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

a hydrant wrench and 100' of plastic hose makes quick work of filling our 500 gallon hydroseeder

3. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing we wondered is if you are going through 15 200 gallon tanks what rate are you spraying at and what kind of tractor do you have? We do mostly residentials *some commercials* and can not imagine having to fill up that many times.

In our experience most commercial and industrial properties don't have a problem with you filling your tank as long as you can find a faucet. My husband says you need to get a connector to hook up to the sprinkler system then you will be able to fill up twice as fast :waving:

4. One of our commercial sites we use there fire hydrants and there 2 1/2" hose, fills pretty fast but we only fill 3 times a day there.

5. Lawns of KY

Lawns of KY LawnSite Member

I have approx. 1.5 million square feet to treat in all. 200 gallons treats 2.5 acres (i thought).

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I could spray 40 acres with 200 gal. Why do you use so much water. Five gallons an acre is all I use.

7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Let me get this right. Your spraying 3000 gallons and your asking how fast can a tank be filled and where? Or are you looking into getting into the spray end of lawn care? and asking this?

8. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

You kiddin me? You really want ot fill up on a customer's prop?

I know you think they are your friends, but what about hwne you acciendtal drop that 2.5 gallon jug of speedzone and it goes everywhere? Fill only at the shop and mix only at the shop. But then again, we play by the rules.

besides, you can't spray much morethan 200 at the rate of 1 gal per k per day, may a bit more, but much more and you are pushing it.

Just my thoguhts

EG

9. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

We spray at 1.5 gal per k per day. I mis-understood your post and thought you meant you were having to fill up 15 times a day not in all :dizzy:

Grandview now I have to ask you what rate you could possibly be spraying at to be able to get 40 acres per 200 gallons?

And most of the time Enviro Green the shop is 30 miles away and driving back to fill up is just not possible :)

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

40 acres per 200 gallons???? If he's using a hose end lesco type gun there is no way to do an ULV app with those. 1 gal per k is about as slim as your'e gonna get and even that is hard to do. you have to walk fast and move! My tank is only 100 gallons, I fill at home. I wish I had a higher volume water source, but I'm not doing apps. full time (I mostly mow) so it's not that big a deal.