Time to grow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew Kovacs, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Andrew Kovacs

Andrew Kovacs LawnSite Member

I am now entering my third year of lawn care.
    75% of the customers are residental and the other is small commercial and a townhome most all whom have contacted me.
    I would like to grow and attack more commercial accounts. Does anyone have any advise about how to approach larger accounts with out making a fool of my self.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Get at least one million dollars in GL insurance. What I did was drove around to 4 different real estate management firms and introduced myself and told them I was interested in giving bids. I had one of the four send me a bid package of all their properties. You could try send a letter with business card attatched. I would start this in the fall. The one here wanted the bids in by November 15th for mowing the following year, but that might be just them. I am not sure how most do it.

Hope this helps
    MATT

3. Andrew Kovacs

Andrew Kovacs LawnSite Member

So is fall the best time to get ahold of contracts?

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thats when I would start. You would get on the list of those that want their bids in that early. Then hit the others that dont respond at the beginning of the following year.

MATT

5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Chemy free?
    Is that chemical free for fertilizing and weed control?
    Or are you not offering fertilizing and weed control at all?

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Come up with some nice packets outlining your skills/certifications, what services you offer, number of years in business and references. Go out now and meet with everyone that will spare you a few moments of his or her time. Obviously only target the commercial accounts you are interested in targeting or able to service. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

7. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Great article in Lawn and Landscape Mag this month on D. Foley Landscaping and a migration of a business from Construction to Commercial Maintenance. Can't say that I personally am a big fan of a lot of the tactics they uses but the article is good.

Good Luck.

Jeff

8. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Andrew,

Check out the "Direct Mail Templates" from Lawn Care Success at the top of the home page. I purchased them about a week ago-I took the commercial property template, added some color, personalized it with my info, it looks really professional. I plan on mailing three out tommorow for some commercial accounts that are close to home and look like very good accounts. I really only need one more account-so if I get one of these I'll have paid for the templates ($29.00) at least 35 times over! I'm anxious to see what results I get-but they look really nice with just a little creativity.:)

9. Why?

you think they are better?