1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Time to put the leaf box on!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by FerrisDiesel, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Boy I tell ya, my 18HP is a monster, bout sucks my pants right off and doesn't clog at all. Whew!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. mlavin73

mlavin73 LawnSite Member

Maloney. I have an 11hp Billy Goat leaf vacuum. When I first got it I use to clog it from time to time. I have found the easiest way to prevent clogs is to rake into it. I stretch my hose out as far and as straight as possible. I then take a rake and just keep feeding it leaves. I NEVER EVER get clogs anymore. When I use to take the head and vacuum the leafs I would occassionally suck up sticks. The sticks would get caught sideways in the tube and cause the clog. I find raking the leaves into the head of the hose takes a little bit longer (not much). Now when I see a stick as I'm raking I toss it into the bed of the truck. I certainly feel it's less fatiguing doing it my way. I think with the bigger models the clogs aren't really an issue like pressdun said.

3. tylerlawncare

tylerlawncare LawnSite Member

C4500 Fall Clean Up Box..

IMG_1562.jpg

4. iforgotmybackpack

iforgotmybackpack LawnSite Member

Are you sure about that? I bought my first loader this season and called the DOT to ask about front mounting it. I also live in NH and the DOT and I followed up with the Dept. of Safety and both places said other than a plow, nothing can be mounted on the front of the vehicle. That would suck to find that out halfway through the fall and have to redesign everything. Looks good though, wish I could have done it!

5. wilsonsground

wilsonsground LawnSite Member

Well if it is illegal guess they better start stopping company's then! I passed DOT today and nothing happened.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes LawnSite Member
    from NH

We've had ours Front mounted since 1997. Never once have we been stoped for it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What about cranes, sewer/jetter trucks, well drilling rigs, front discharge mixers etc.? If it were illegal to have anything on the front of a truck other than a plow did these companies miss the memo?

8. iforgotmybackpack

Should have specified that I was only refering to passenger trucks like I run (1 tons). All the vehicles you just listed are in a different class. I'm just sharing what the state told me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

One tons are not considered "passenger vehicles." If you asked DOT then they are going by FMCA guidelines which apply to ALL CMV's, which would include your one tons.

10. iforgotmybackpack

For christ sake ******. I was just relaying what I was told so he wouldnt get sited. F'n relax superstar
    Posted via Mobile Device