Time to take employees cell phone away

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 cell phones on one account. The 3 phones are sharing 1000 minutes for around $90.00 a month total. I have been letting one of my best employees use the phone for a couple of years now, and he has done a good job in not talking too much. However, this month he blew it. He personally used around 900 of the 1000 minutes causing additional charges of the other phones due to him going over the minutes.

The normal bill is around $90.00. This month $425.00

His check is going to be very small this week.

I know, I know, Its my own fault for trusting too much.

Live and learn.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

From 90 clams to 425? Ouch, that's gotta hurt the pocketbook...

3. r_rivera7272

r_rivera7272 LawnSite Member

I'm surprised at the fact the someone could use 900 minutes in one month. What's next? Getting overcharged on unlimited minutes??!!

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Gene $immons,

Sorry about that happening. That is a nice option you offered your staff.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I would look at the bill and see what phone calls were made during business hours for personal use and then deduct that amount of time from his pay also . Show him the bill .

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I also let my employee use the cell for personal use, but I got the proper plan for it. Nextel is what we use, and his phone plan is $60, 600 anytime minutes, unlimited nighttime and weekend calls, and all incoming calls are free. So he has never gone over. I on the other hand, have gone over in the past. So I changed my plan at that point. Talk to him about splitting the charges and take it out of 2-3 checks instead of one.

7. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

Sounds like he might have had something going on. I'd certainly make him pay the overage, but I'd see what the scoop was before I start slapping his hand.

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like he took advantage of a good thing.

9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used 2200 phone minutes last month and an additional 600 nextel direct connect minutes. :) No extra charge though, it's all part of my plan.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

2200 phone min.? you need to start to work lol

Mac