1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Time to take employees cell phone away

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, Jun 11, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It sounds like a whole heck of a lot of minutes. I added in the 600 taking it up to 2800 mins a month. Do the math, and it turns out to be about 1.5 hours per day. I guess breaking it down that way it doesn't sound so bad.

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

2200 min don't sound all that bad, my phone plan is unlimited and usually runs about 4000+ min/month, primary phone though, our wired line is used only for DSL internet

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

An hour and a half a day on the phone, "not bad" ??
    If you work in an office, maybe. If you're working, or driving, not good at all.

Crawdad

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

This last bill came to about 1300 cell minutes, and 900 direct connect minutes.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

UPDATE

Phone was taken away with no problemo. He understood the situation.

Question. Do any of you use two way radio or pagers to contact the other crews?

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

could have had a family emergency where his wife/mother ended up in the hospital and since he was such a dedicated worker he could only call to see if they were doing OK?

Its kinda hard to judge things like this...there are just so many x's and y's to fill in.

I underrstand you took the phone away already.

trevor

7. J Haugner

J Haugner LawnSite Member

That is only 30 minutes a day. Maybe he has a girlfriend. No evenings weekends free? He should pay the overage but do it overtime if he is a good worker. Do you know what it cost to find and train a new worker? Thousands!

8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

please tell me how it costs thousands to train a new employee?:confused:

9. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

He's right on the thousands part. To find & train a dedicated employee cost losts of time & money. You'll probably go through ten before you find one worth a sh*$, then minimum a season to get them trained & effecient at tasks. If it were me I'd have talked to him first find out whats up (had phone for 3 years & this is the first time). Depending on our discussion (reasons given), I may of picked up the tab.

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the way these discussions always turn into a pizzin match.

1. I am under no obligation whatsoever to provide my employees with a cell phone. HE BLEW IT

2. There was no medical emergency

3. Workers like him are a dime a dozen, I have STACKS of applications, and lawn care is not hard to teach, lets face the facts. It does not cost thousands of dollars to train a new employee.

4. Those of you who want to bust my balls, send me your phone number, you can pay for his phone bill, since its no big deal. I have other expenses.