time to vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Lawn, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

nothing against anyone but I have to share this with the folks who do this full-time. I am at my local lawn dealer and hear these two folks talking loud enough for all to hear, which is what they wanted. so they are talking about new equipment to buy and how they are going to cut the folks who do this full-time fees by 20% or more. their not worried about it because they can work a overtime day and pay for their equipment and the lawn service is only for fun money anyway, so they are not worried about what they charge. I wish I had a job like that, were screwing over other folks is no big deal. I know they are the minority but come on!!

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them will they are using their day off from there F/T job to cut grass. You are over at their house getting your OVERTIME IN. LOL.
  3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Same here. I have a guy in town which mentioned earlier in a thread who is mowing for $15 cut and cheaper for condo units. He is in his early 70 I think and says he don't need the money - this is fun money for him. Anyday of the week he could double his operation and take all the clients away from me and everyone else for that matter.

Then I have my dealer price high end equipment for people who are interested in mowing my commercial accounts and even have the gal to go in and ask to mow without really thinking there is a whole lot more involved than sitting on a 12K mower.
  4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Happens Everyday.
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I always laugh when I hear chumps like these.
    My operation employees eleven people not counting me and every where I go people are making snide comments like what you posted.
    Oh well, when they are trying to take my accounts away in the heat of summer, I am going to vacation in the Bahamas with one of my girl friends while they melt in the Texas sun.
    Next year it will be the same story, some start up wanting to cut throat then realizing they didn't have what it takes - while I am sipping a Mohito with a long legged blonde on some beach.
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My guess is that these jokers wont last...I am a firefighter one day on and an LCO on my two days off. I come to this site to learn and know what to charge.
    I do know guys who think they can lowball because they have the security of another job. The thing is, it sucks to get off work at a full time job and go mow. I only do it because I like it and I charge enough to make it worth my while.
    Eventually these guys will raise their rates or get out of the biz...
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

When he realizes that the fun money doesn't come easy when it gets real hot he will likely wash out.
  8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

These are guys that just like to ride a mower. If I cant make good money, my 12000 goes toward a Harley.
  9. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

the biggest problem i see with fly by nighters, is that people think that when they go belly up they are still going to get prices from the 70's. plus one other thing that was mentioned to me from my girlfriend, was it just makes us look more professional, and our work stands out more! lol
  10. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Another company that I do alot of business with, lost 2 larger accounts this year, to lowballers.
    One month later, he has both of them back.

Weedeating, what does that mean?
    Pine Cones, will you pay for this damaged belt?
    Disperse grass clippings, my mower doesnt do that.

Hee Hee Hee.