Time tracking

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Green-Pro, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys use for time tracking employees and or yourself on jobs? Specifically landscape/hardscape jobs. I'm not ready to spend the bucks on any computerized portable entry system, not quite there yet. I want to try and develop something that employees and myself can record in and then be entered into a database daily.
    What categories do you all find to be of the most value information wise besides the obvious, time started/stopped, client name/I.D #, etc.
    I track time now but I'll be the first to admit it's half azzed (steno pad), I want to put something together that will help keep us accurate on costs by tracking time and yet be ....gulp....user friendly?
    Knowing my cost of doing business is not a problem, just figured I could do a whole lot better by getting job times down to the brass tacks so to speak.

Thanks in advance

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I use daily worksheets that the crew fills out at the job site and turn in at the end of the day. That is what I do my billing from. Do a search on "what items do you track daily" and there is much discussion about this and my worksheet is posted there too. I could afford to go with a PDA or Laptop but I see no reason to add technology just for the sake of adding it. It wouldn't speed things up.

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks AZ willl do a search. I agree, I really don't see how technology will help speed this process up.

4. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

I rely on QXpress. I print out the daily work order it i have lines on it that each employee writes name puts time under proper in out column then at the end of the day I transfer it to QXpress and its already to print an invoice at the end of the mo. Billing used to take 5 each night to file timesheets then 2 nights to enter times and bill at the end of the mo. Now 15 - 30min each night and 1.5 hours or less to bill at the mo. and about 20% more invoices going out now. Love QXpress.

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

and to add to the above post, add qxmobile. It tracks time for you at each job, and lets you add services on the fly. I just started using it and love it as well.