Time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 30, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering when you guys trade/sell your mowers or do you just use them till they die?:confused:

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Run till they die. Then buy the same type and brand. Only if it was a great mower. then save the dead one far parts.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my dealer usually cuts me a deal a new mower if I bring the old one in that he uses for spare parts

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The local Walker dealer here was telling me of a guy that has a fleet of 4 or 5 and trades them EVERY year for new ones......just can't seem to understand that. I might understand every 3 years after you depreciate them all out, but not every year. I run mine until near death and then use as backup, but Progressive is still young.

MATT

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I think mine are setup at 3 year depriecation, so on 2 of them I'll be shopping soon

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done both. When a machine just starts to give me too much grief, I usually fix it up, and then sell it. I would never just sell a machine if it has given me no problems.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a friend that buys a new GH every year. Trades the old one in. I'll use mine for at least 4 years.

8. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We run them for three years, then they become "parts mowers" and are replaced by new ones. By the time they are 3 years old the machines cost too much to maintain, and aren't worth using anymore.