Timecutter 42

Discussion in 'Toro' started by Clark Griswold, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Croat

Croat LawnSite Member

It's holding up really well. I really do like everything about it. Obviously, other than the clumping issue. Great machine. Can't complain about anything now that the problem is fixed. I would hold onto it if I were you. You're not cutting alot...Give it a chance.

2. kennyplay

kennyplay LawnSite Member

well said mowingman. I also have a toro z4200. from what i was told it's because it's only 2 blade deck. I also have huster 44" and 54", both 3 blades. That makes a world of difference.

3. kennyplay

kennyplay LawnSite Member

well said mowingman. I also have a toro z4200. from what i was told it's because it's only 2 blade deck. I also have huster 44" and 54", both 3 blades. That makes a world of difference.

4. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is still working very well, might have 300 hours or so on it.

The Kawi motor is the best, just an incredible motor!

I had a Scag Cougar with 3 blades & it would suck up anything, never left a trail.

5. crusty_crab80

crusty_crab80 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alaska

Hello Clark, Croat & Toro
    I just picked up a Toro time cutter ss4235. And also have same problem. I saw the part number for the toro baffle (this should come standard) but when I look up the placement of the part it show 2 different spots where it mounts on 2 diff diagrams i saw on google.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=...+311000001-311999999)&dn=3359-993-381920-0002

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=...n-Radius+Riding+Mower&dn=3362-194-393407-0001

Can one of you 3 please specify the exact placement of the part according to the right diagram?
    And, more important of all did it make a large difference when bagging?
    (I've asked the dealer but he is just "working on it")

6. crusty_crab80

from Alaska

Here is a 3rd location where the baffle can go. I think this one is the right one. Other 2 might be for different mower decks.

Would appreciate any input before I buy the part.
    Part: 112-3983-03

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=...+311000001-311999999)&dn=3366-475-405766-0006
    Thanks!:clapping:

7. The Toro Company

The Toro Company LawnSite Senior Member

The 79324 doesn’t fit a Timecutter SS 4235. The 79324 fits 42” Timecutters built between 2007 and 2010. What may be confusing is that the 79324 kit is serialized therefore since we still make kits for older machines, the bagger kit can have a serial number that doesn’t match the serial number of the unit the kit goes on.

On the Timecutters that used 79324, the baffle you mention came in the bagger kit because it did NOT come on the Timecutter unit.

The bagger that goes on your machine, is a 79334. If you looked at a parts diagram for it you would not see the baffle called out because it comes on the unit. You are correct when you say that it is for YOUR machine. For the older Timecutters that used 79324 bagger it is NOT true: the baffle was part of the bagging kit.

One of the links you have is for a 50” bagging kit; again for an older and different machine (Titan); hence, the baffle was part of the kit since it was not factory installed on the machine like they are currently on your TimeCutter SS 4235.

If you have a TimeCutter SS 4235 you should look up the part diagram for that machine and to see which baffle is called out. Depending on the year it is either a 74624, 74625, or 74633. For the most accurate information, we recommend you look up parts on the Toro parts finder and not a third party site. When you look it up, you'll see it only mounts in one place on a 42” deck and yes, 112-3983-03 is the correct part.

Hopes this helps clear up any confusion.
    Thanks,
    The Toro Co

8. crusty_crab80

from Alaska

Good deal...I like the detailed response. I will look into it in the next several days.

The mower is holding up alright for the money. I've had to add the pedal attachment (all others expect the floor mat and hand rests came with). I would recommend the pedal being a standard feature. Also, I am not fan of the electric parking break. Mower tends to slide, parking break takes a few seconds sometime maybe 5 to 10 seconds to engage. I would prefer a hand lever AND a brake pedal. Mow a steep wet hill and you'll think twice about a simple brake feature.

AND the blades it came with suck to say the least. I've had to go buy highlift mulching blades with wings (similar to gators) and finding the right one took fitting about 6 blades onto the mower and half a day, 5 trips to stores, one dozen phone calls. 2-3 hours online. 1 post on this site, and my toro dealer was not helpful
    : (
    These should be manufactured by TORO. You are loosing $$$.

9. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Agree. Also there goes the warranty if you had any (sounds like you are suing it commercially). Toro has an excellent reputation and THEY obviously are monitoring as they have responded twice to your thead.

10. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Member

Anybody who makes a claim that this mower can't mow perfect because it's not commercial is missing the point. This thread is very useful and I have learned from experience about this exact issue. What happened on my unit was that the baffle got bent and caused grass to clump. Toro began putting this part on the decks as a standard at some point. Thep roblem is that you will see some deck have it, some do not. Many folks don't care about clumping in their yard. Most of us do. I use my "residential", toro ss5000 to mow a 3 acre yard once a week. THis is not cmomercial use and it deserves attention to the problem as described in this post. I love my ss5000 bought it new in 2015 and the thing is great, but the problem is not using a mower not intended for this use, that sounds like a cop out from the guys who don't own this mower. Toro fixed this problem by installing the baffle, no more clumping. The only thing i would suggest is you already have this baffle, keep an eye on it to make sure it stays straight, i imagine it will need replacing periodically if you do hit sticks or anything ever. A warranty is not voided for using a mower on heavy grass.