Times for commercial bids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JS Landscaping, Jan 16, 2006.

1. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have searched for a while on this site and still am comming up with no answer to the question. When is the best time to go around to sell your services to potential commercial clients? Close to the begining of the landscaping season? Or at the beginning of the year as in January. Im located up in the north east. Last year we gained 2 commercial accounts in april, but it seemed like they were last minute deals. When do you guys in the North east go around and sell your company to potential commercial clients? Thanks!

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

2. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would start now, March is right around the corner.You might think this is funny but i would wait for a warm day some time soon and go around and talk with you potential customers!!!People start thinking about service as soon as the weather starts to getting nice. And the weather around here has bin nice.

3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

One thing to keep in mind, businesses are putting together the 2006 budget. They want to know where every penny is going for the year.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

If you need to start making "cold calls" then I would start yesterday! If you are just going around, kinda in person then I would hold off until the last week of Feb. into the first week of March. In the NE snow has been all but non-existant so far, maybe this season they will be in good moods due to all the money they saved.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've already got my contracts lined up for the upcoming season.

If you're trying to get contracts where accounts have more than one tenant, ie strip malls, they've probably already got the account lined up, since they do all of their common area maintenace fee schedules at the first of the year, or possibly later depending on their fiscal year.

If you're looking at getting accounts with solo tenants, or others, I'd start walking door to door right now, most places it'll take you 2-3 visits just to find out who to talk to, to get past the secretary.

You can never be too early to find if a place is willing a bid, but you can be too late to place that bid.

6. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the imput guys. All my promotional material should be arriving this week so im planning on getting out and selling all next week. We usually have snow on the ground until about mid to late march if we have a normal winter, and spring cleanups usually start the first of april. Even tho its still mid january and we are still pushing snow and salting, im gettin ready to start the landscaping season...even if we still have 2 more months of winter to go. Thanks guys...

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Also many of the larger commercial solict their bids directly via RFP, RFQ only.