timing Allectus application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

going to try Allectus this season...

looking for timing for that application..
    i am going to use GGD model ...
    i am thinking around the first of july here in n.j.
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason You may want to use Allectus, is because you want to target white grub complex AND another pest like Chinch Bugs, Billbugs or Sod Webworms here in Jersey IMO.

I like GDD models, and I will make a suggestion....

If Billbugs + WGC (white grub complex)are your main issue, get the product down at 400 GDD.

If Chinchbugs + WGC are a problem at site, product down at 600 GDD (that is now where I live)

If it's Sod Webworm + WGC , Product down at 900 GDD and no H2O for 24 Hours, so Larve come in contact with the Bifenthrin componant of the Allectus....OR Mach II at the Highest lable rate (granular only)

The beauty of the Imdacloprid componant (merit) is it has a soil half life of 120 days, so you could put it down at 400 GDD and get control of Billbugs, and yet still have enough merit in the soil/plant when the eggs hatch from White Grub Complex Beetles.

But I will say even though this new product is "Broad Spectrum" you still need to know your target pest, and when it does the most damage.

Also when you have the above Knowelage, you may not be using this product exclusively....example: no grubs, because shady turf OR no trees/plants the grub beetles feed on..... just Chinch Bugs or Sod Web Worm, A labeled insecticide like Talstar/Cross Check. Billbugs only, but no grubs.....Merit down early @ 400 GDD. Neighbor has Sod Web Worms and 2nd generations (3 in south jersey) adults have laid eggs in your lawn after 1500 GDD....Guess what, the Merit will not help you, and the Bifenthrin is GONE.

This situation is what I LOVE Mach II for ;)

In the right conditions the Allectus product will save Labor for sure....But it is not the "Silver Bullett" for all insect situations, as some are led to believe.

Enjoy your new info Ant, and Stick with the GDD models.....They are GREAT!!!

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

pete:great reply