timing blades????????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr mow, May 30, 2006.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

I have a great dane super surfer and a sckamper. the walk behind cuts great, but the s.s. isnt cutting quite as good as i would like(not the very most outside edges of the deck but everything else in between) if i cut in two directions it great. im just wondering if it could be a timing issue. i have also started sharping my own blades(i used to sharpen my blades before at another huge lco i used to work for before,no problems) just wondering how important this timing issue is and if anyone knows weather G.D. require timing. would a high lift blade work better for standard mowing?

2. mr mow

just trying to get some anwsers

3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

timing blades??? there is no way to do so. blades spin at a differens speed and when clutch is turned on the belt will slip on a pulley.. there is no way to ever keep blades going around at the same time and place.

4. mr mow

that makes sense to me but i here alot about timing blades,the more i hear it the more i believe. maybe if the spindles were chain and gear driven with a splind shaft. look at snowmobiles and go carts wit centrifugal clutch the belt still slips some.

5. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

If your not getting a good cut, get a new set of blades. Run 2 regs and a high lift for the discharge. Make sure that your deck is clean underneath as well. If that dont work, buy a different mower. As far as timing is concerned. There is no way you can time your blades. Maybe they meant balancing them.

6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like your blades have "rounded corners". If so, replace them.:usflag:

7. mr mow

they do have rounded corners and why when someone else says it that everything makes sense now... what about highlifts though? benefit for standard mowing?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Get NEW blades. Rounded edges are the #1 cause of cut quality degradation.

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think that you can actually time the blades. You can balance them individually, and also when you mount them on the machine. I set the 2 outers the same, and then the middle one at 90 degrees from them. Seems to help with balancing. Also, high lifts are a must, especially with this tall fescue up here. I run a G.D. Surfer, and change blades EVERY day. Sharp blades are the key. I clean the under-deck everytime that I change the blades (everyday).

10. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the only time you need to time blades are when the deck is shaft drive with overlaping blades. my walkers blades need to be 90 degrees apart or they will hit each other .