1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Timing Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grasscape Inc, Jul 26, 2000.

1. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

How do you time all your blades?<p>----------<br>-Grasscape Mgmt.<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

None of the mowers, homeowner or commercial, that I am aware of need to &quot;time&quot; the blades. The blades usually overlap by a small amount. They also stagger the blades so they don't hit one another while they are rotating. This is why one blade is further forward on the mower deck than the one right next to it. Usually on a 2 blade mower the right blade is set forward from the left blade and on a 3 blade mower the center blade is set forward. Side-by-side blade arrangements are possible but they are usually gear driven with a cradle that the blade sits in so the blades cannot hit one another.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

Really,, why bother! The first time you clip something soild they are going to slip on the belts a little anyhow and your &quot;timing&quot; would go out the window. Kinda rates up there with keeping your blades in matched sets, a guy I know bent a blade on his Exmark so he threw away the whole set because he like to keep his blades &quot;matched&quot;,, whatver that is supposed to do for ya.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

&quot; a guy I know bent a blade on his Exmark so he threw away the whole set because he like to keep his blades &quot;matched&quot;,, whatver that is supposed to do for ya.&quot;<p>Ive done this, on the premise that I wouldnt want two worn, and one new blade affecting the cut. Kinda like the same thinking that has me replace tires on my truck in pairs.<p>Now you have me thinking. Does it really matter if two are worn and one isnt? <p>Bill
  5. Alan

Alan Member

Bill, I can see the tires thing, matching traction and wear on the diff (if on the rear). But mower blades, at least to me, don't fit that same category. I won'r run a brand new one as part of a set that is almost shot, but when blades are in the middle of their lifespan I can't see any difference in how they perform.
  6. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

Thanks to Eric we now run two blades on each spindle and often they are mismatched on purpose. For example in heavy grass or tall grass we run gators top and bottom on the trim swide and in the middle and run a gator on the bottom and a hi-lift on the top on the ejection side. I always keep old blades that are almost worn out to use on top of the spindles.
  7. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys. For most mowers it don't mater.Walker decks come factory timed. The blades overlap and are gear driven. If they are not timed, they will slam into each other.If you change a deck gearbox and don't time it, you will regret it. I think the JD36 walkbehind has an automotive cam type belt also due to overlaping blades.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Grasscape, you got waaaaay too much time on your hands. When you ride on the mower, start thinking about girls. Something more productive like that.
  9. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

you can't time or position your blades because as you start them up, each grabs independently, & if you hit something big or small, the belts slips a little. Consider it pointless, I guess. That's why they use belts; so they can give if you hit something.<br>You won't hit blades against each other unless they're too big for that particular mower, or if a spindle is bent or loose in the bolt holes, or wallered out the holes, etc. The factory takes care of all that engineering before it hits the showroom.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  10. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

I'M TRYING TO GET MY MIND OFF GIRLS, THAT'S WHY I ASK THESE TYPE OF QUESTIONS :)<br><p>----------<br>-Grasscape Mgmt.<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage