Timing for bulk mailing in Midwest (fertilization only)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FERT-TEK, Jan 31, 2008.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Fellas, this will be the first year that I am doing bulk mailing for my upstart fertilization business and am curious when you would recommend sending out my mailers. I live in the Midwest if that helps (suburbs of Chicago).

I am considering two or three postcard mailings sent out two weeks apart and am currently looking at my first mailing to arrive March 1st. Do you agree with this timing or is March 1st too late?
  2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

start sending my out late feb too. this year we will try sending them out when the weather warms instead of a date. people won't respond well if they aren't thinking about their lawns. maybe 1/4 in early march, 1/4 middle march, 1/4 late march, then the other 1/4 in april sometime.

we are looking for prepays so getting them out in march is sometimes even too late. tough balancing act to get them out before they prepay with another company, but late enough that they are thinking about lawns.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you found that this timing has worked for you in general. I realize that it is hit or miss due to the weather.
  4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Dave/Fert-Tek check your personal messages.
    Mike - Streamwood, Ill
  5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know. March 1st might be a little too early. I think you'd do better if you waited until at least mid March to send out your first cards.
  6. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I send 'em out in january, and a second round March 1... Don't let tru-brown beat you to the punch!
  7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm starting with door hangers next week. And yeah, I'll be doing all the distribution myself. I figure a round now, and another around March 1. But, my biz is very different than what most of you guys do... I'm an LCo first, an apps guy second, although that is where all my profit will be. I will only take full service customers... mow, blow, IPM, ferts and apps. Does that sound about right?
  8. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We mailed ours ten days ago and the renewals are flooding in with the prepay checks. Scott sent theirs last week. We used to do ours in March, but all the national franchises etc were mailing and calling by Mid January, so we moved ours up and have noticed no negative effect from being this early.

Austreim Landscaping
  9. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

We are a small operation but my son does have his CT license and we have been thinking about this type of approach. I am unfamiliar with the cost and the potential return. Could you enlighted us?
  10. lwelve

lwelve LawnSite Member

I`m not sure of the product you use, but we do a 6 step program and use Lesco products.
    Our first application is around St Patrick`s day.
    Chem Lawn , TruGreen and Scotts are already calling and telemarketing their programs. I would do yours within the next several weeks, but no later than end of Feb.
    Good Luck
    LVE Lawn & Landscaping