timing for fungicie question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BrandonV, Jun 13, 2013.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I asked my reg but didn't get an exact answer:
    my crew unannounced to me trying to get ahead put out a 2nd application of disarm fungicide trying to prevent the now full fledge attack on our lawns... problem is I meant for them to switch to heritage because disarm just preventative and won't kill what's already out there. they did that early this week and we NEED to spray the heritage. do you think applying heritage next week will hurt the turf? would i be better just spraying dacoinil or some other post emergent product?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Disarm and Heritage are from the same FRAC group. On residential turf, you need to be rotating between one of those, propiconazole or triadimefon, and thiophanate methyl. If you can get residential label Protect DF, that should be tank mixed with the systemic fungicide. Fungicides are best applied through a boom at 1-2 gallons per 1000. Watch your water pH. Most of these products are degraded at pH 7 and higher. They are much more stable between 5.5-6.5.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I use Cleary's Protect and Eagle together as one of my rotations. Heritage and Daconil as another and also Cleary's 3337 and Mancozeb. The manganese in the mancozeb and zinc may work somewhat like the Cleary's Protect. Most of these are on a 14-21 day rotation. Another tip is to get the pH down as a fungus does not like acidic soil. A little difficult on coastal sand but after a while it will continue to drop with the right fertilize. Soluble sulfur does a good job for both the fungus and lowering the pH. It needs to be done in small does because of the suspension factor in water is poor.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Acid soil won't help. Depends on the fungus. Most fungi are more at home under acid conditions than are bacteria.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

We're already acid. Just have tecently had 12" of rain over a 3 week period and crazy high humidity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

I have to disagree with you there Riggle :drinkup:

I took RAlmaroad advice on lowing the pH years ago, stopped applying my lime treatment every fall and though I still apply the fungicide on schedule I have seen a huge difference in the breakouts of fungus.

I can even get a full month out of a fungicide treatment :clapping: