Timing gap for Echo SRM 230

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Genlandscape, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

One of my echo 230's has healthy spark, and is getting fuel, but I think the timing may be off. Could anyone help with the proper gap for the coil/stator.:confused:

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just use a piece of a sparkplug container....it is about the correct width.

3. Genlandscape

Thank you for your post, I have read that the factory gap is .012"

4. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Gen, why do you think the gap is off? Is it running poorly? Normally I use a business card or two to gap the flywheel to coil and pull it out after I tighten down the coil screws but as far as timing, unless you sheared a flywheel key the timing should be O.K., actually on most small 2-cycle equipment there is no key, the flywheel has the key cut into it so there is no actual,physical key to put in between the crank and flywheel like on bigger engines, did you pull the flywheel? If so just line up the crank slot with the flywheel key set it down on the crank gently, twist it back and forth, gently, once you can tell it's seated put the washer and nut back on and tighten it up. Hope this helps, keep us posted, O.K.? C'ya K

5. Genlandscape

The gap between the rotor(flywheel) and the stator(coil) can advance or ****** the timing. The greater the gap the more retarted the spark. I actually founf that the coil is failing whenit gets hot. Time for a coil I guess.