1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

timing of replacing sprinkler heads

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by ramsbaseball, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ramsbaseball

ramsbaseball LawnSite Member

I have several sprinkler heads that need to be replaced due to being hit by the mower, etc. My question is can I do it now, with the grass going into dormancy or should I wait until spring when the grass will be actively growing?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You can replace them anytime. They should have been replaced as soon as you noticed them broken though... Are these for customers? That's a heated debate over who pays though. If the sprinklers are not retracting and the mower is clipping them who's at fault? They are not functioning properly and its not totally the lawn guys fault for breaking a sprinkler that's already not working properly. But some people don't see it that way and expect you to pay for and replace them, or scout the lawn every week pushing them down. Its very hard to find them usually...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jbcertified

jbcertified LawnSite Member

Do it now unless you have plenty of time in the spring with nothing else to do! Cut a deep circle around the head and lift sod out as one or two parts not disturbing roots , replace head and reinstall grass ring.