Timing on my first truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bluethunder, Aug 12, 2001.

1. bluethunder

bluethunder LawnSite Member
    from texas

I recently got my first truck! A 1986 Chevrolet K20 4x4 with a 350 engine. I was wondering if someone knows, or can tell me where to find what degree to set my timing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

bluethunder,

Welcome to lawnsite contgrats on post #1, and on you "new" purchase.

You might consider going to www.plowsite.com and posting your question there in the Chevy Truck Forum.
    I am just suggestion plowsite.com because it is a sister site to this one.

Chuck Smith checks both that site and this one, he is a Chevy man and has his own website also.

One of his websites is: http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com
    There is a lot of information there!

However someone will give you the answer sooner or later.

Good Luck, and again welcome aboard!

3. bluethunder

bluethunder LawnSite Member
    from texas

Thanks for the nice welcome Rooster. I already have posted on plowsite.com I hope someone can help me lol!

4. ERIC ROBERGE

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

If you are planning to do any work on your truck, my advise woulb be to get a book like chilton or mitchell. It would be best to get a dealer shop manual if you could find one. I cant remember if the 86 2500 is carburated or computer controlled. If I had to guess it would be carbed. If so make sure idle is around 700-800 rpms, disconnect and plug the vacuume line to the distributer and shoot the timing. I would guess the timing to be around 5 to 10 degrees, but I would verify that first.
    By the way why are you trying to adjust the timing. There are a number of other problems that have similar symptoms that misadjusted timing has.
    Worn timing chain, worn distributer bushings, vacuum leaks, weak or worn ignition parts, bad catalyst just to name a few. If you need I can tell you how to check some of this stuff. Just let me know.