Tine of flail

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Mar 2, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I know this has been talked about, but we live in a different situation than most. Here on the west coast we get moss unlike anything most of you can imagine. I know that because turf textbooks have a half page on dealing with moss, when it should be half the book.
    Even when clippings are collected here often lawns get spongy and as you walk it is possible to leave footprints. It's a mix of thatch and moss and dead blades. I have spongy lawns that have no moss also. Although the commercial contracts will likely not be interesed in total lawn renos, which machine would do a better job of pulling all the **** out and leaving grass behind? One person I talked to suggested a verti cutter, is this the flail? Thanks

2. Are you looking to rent or buy the machine?
    I have a Blue Bird lawn comber with flail blades that does a good job on thatch. Cant comment on moss, just don't deal with it here.

Flail blades spin on a shaft, not attached in a fixed position
    Verti cutter blades are fixed blades-what I would use if I were using my comber for a reno rather than just dethatching.

The Blue Bird allows you to use both blade types, I suspect most other brands do also but would check 1st.

Heres a link with pics
    http://www.bluebirdintl.com/products/combers/p18.html

3. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Hey its nice to see a fellow British Columbian on this site. :drinkup:

I have used a Ryan power raker to pull up moss. It has a flail reel with about 40 tines on it. Seems to work good, and as long as you don't go too slow over the grass it will only rip up thatch and moss.