Tinking of getting into Landscape construction

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JohnsonLawn, Aug 1, 2004.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a successful lawn & landscape maintenance business for 5 years now and have given thought to starting landscape contruction jobs next year(lawn installs, retaining walls, walkways, patios, ornamental ponds, Etc.). I have done some of this type of work but not alot of it . How much of this stuff is just basic common sense work that can be figured out if you take your time or do you feel a college degree is neccessary. Where can I learn more about the contruction end of the business without working for someone else. Any online courses out there? I am a fairly bright guy and have common sense just dont like getting in over my head

2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscape construction isn't to difficult, you really need to be able to bring all the colors together and balance everything. A landscape class maybe at a local community college might be of help, clinics at material suppliers and what not will help you. Look at pictures of jobs done by other LS members, look at recently done jobs in your service area, go to landscape suppliers, look at all the different shrubs, learn names, learn what type of environment they like, find out what type of diseases and bugs can harm these shrubs, cures and what not. Just walk around and check the stuff out. When I first started out I was all about 2 of this over here soooo 2 of it on this side now too, but now I challenge myself to make a more unique landscape by using a large variety of plants and using odd number of plants and stuff like that so its not boring(i.e. 4 boxwoods in a straight line etc) as for retaining walls, you can check out some online "forumlas" for building a wall that will help you, try one at your house or something. All of these things you would like to offer as a service next year, I urge you to try them at friends and families houses, we have all done it even if we don't want to admit it, charge them for materials and some drinks n stuff so you get some experience. Basically when it comes down to landscape construction you really have to have a certain nac for it to get people to go WOW! looks great. I wish you luck, feel free to pm or email me with any questions or anything.

PS Don't go to home depot for materials, go to a regular Landscape supplier, they will be able to give you much better information and better quality plants and materials.

Jeff