tiny blade jumpers??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kar7857, Jun 6, 2001.

1. kar7857

kar7857 LawnSite Member

what are these diminutive blade jumpers on my lawn?
    the eeniest smallest little bug-things...but billions of them....
    are they stressing my lawn or just having a good time?
    do i need to worry about them???

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Karen,

Can you describe them at all ? What time of day do you see them ?Is there any damage to the turf ? If so can you describe it ?

jeffyr

3. kar7857

kar7857 LawnSite Member

these are tiny - less than 1/16" of an inch...maybe. they look like little pieces of rice - about the same color. they jump everywhere the second you touch the grass. they are most active in the early evening, but they are there all the time. i don't suspect that they're feasting on my grass, but i couldn't swear to it. i have buffalo grass - 90% of it has just fully come out of dormancy. some parts may just be slower in getting going.

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I am not familiar and don't know if I even have those critters in NJ from the description--you can capture a few in a ziplock bag or film container and bring them to a local garden center or local college extension office for ID. They will be able to tell you what to do.

I would worry about them being fleas or ticks so I think you should find out.

5. kar7857

kar7857 LawnSite Member

no, definitely not fleas or ticks. i'm from ohio & i know what those look like. but i like your suggestion. i'll catch a bunch & take 'em in.
    thanks!

6. mowin'man

mowin'man LawnSite Member

My uncle has something like that in his yard way back in the corner around his brush pile.
    It's actually a weed that spreads seeds that way.
    I know of a few other plants that just fling those seeds out
    when something touches them.
    Unless you have an immaculate weed-free yard, I bet that's what it is.