tiny seed heads at grass 3 in. tall

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, May 31, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

went to a neighborhood today that i have a few houses to mow in. I also treat a couple of them. I showed up and almost every blade of grass had tiny seed heads emeging from it and the grass was not tall. Some things I noticed was the lawns where this was present was very dry, thick thatch layer, and had been previously sprayed with three way. Are these lawns stressed from lack of water and fert breaking down in the thatch. Or possible dull blades but I kind of uled that out when these were the only two out of 90+ I mow. I know the chemical had to do something with it because I only sprayed the front yards since this is where the weed seeds had blown over from a nearby field and this is where I noticed the severe problem with the tiny seeds. Thanx for any ideas.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having a hard time understanding your question here. Are you asking what those seed heads are, sticking up above the lawn? If so, that's just the lawn going into seed head formation.

3. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

poa annua...annual bluegrass, I don't think cool season grasses go to seed that easy or quickly (I could be wrong here?).

Steve

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve you are correct.

5. Victor

I'm confused here. From what he said, all of these lawns in question had seed heads popping up from every square inch of the lawns. These lawns are 100% poa?

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have several lawns with the grass popping seeds right now and it is not Poa.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

yo

When plants become stressed they go into survival of the species mode and put out many seed heads. I have seen this on St Augustine turf that doesn't propagate by seed as well as citrus trees that do. What cause the stress can be anyone's guess, but I see it on St Augustine in wet years more than dry years. It doesn't always mean the turf is going to die, but citrus trees generally if not always do die after a large crop and very little leaf production. It is just part of their life cycle.

8. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

it is the bluegrass seeding out

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

All my lawns are going to seed right now. Totally normal. Sucks to mow for a couple weeks, but then it's over...

10. Victor

I'd like to see some pictures of what he's talking about, so I can see for myself. If I understood what he said correctly, these lawns are entirely covered with seed heads. If that's so, I'd bet good money he's just looking at lawns that are going into seed head formation. I could see part of those lawns being covered with Poa, but every square inch of those lawns being covered like I think he said, is awfully hard to believe. Poa really spreads, but come on. If his lawns were 100% Poa, I'm sure he would have already known it.

When you grab an area of these lawns and lift, does the turf pull up kind of like a mat?