Tiny Tach question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTNC, Jun 19, 2005.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

I just put one of these on my Lazer (25 hp Kohler), and have a couple of questions...

1. At full throttle with blades not engaged, the RPM is between 3400 to 3600.
    Just as I thought they are a little low, and I was planning to up them to 3750...

But when I turned the blades on and began mowing they jump up to between 3900 and 4100 RPM..? WTF? Shouldn't they be around 3600?

2. Also why does the guage fluctuate between roughly a 200 RPM range, instead of staying on one number? When idling it only varies a few RPM right around 1750.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What is the model number of the Tiny Tach that you put on?

3. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

The 3 c I think, the most common one... That's what the company recommended.

4. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Scratch that, actually it's a 226NR2C...

5. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I run one on my Lazer . 3400-3600 is what they run at without blades on . Make sure wire from tach is wrapped around plug wire 5-6 x and taped good . you lose about 50-100 rpm when you engage blades . As long as it is above 3400 it should cut good . I like it at 3450 -3550 rpm any faster if your cutting high will blow the grass over. Take a fat rubber band attach to governer and stretch to something else to hold it . If you get to 3600 or so before blades your good .

Steve

PS I have a sen-dec Tach/ hour meter

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you made sure you hooked up the gauge correctly it should be working. You have like 5 or 6 wraps around a plug wire and the ground wire is hooked up to a bolt on the engine right? If it is then contact Tiny Tach and see if they will replace that meter. It sounds like it is defective.