Tip: Amazingly simple

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ksland, Jun 6, 2004.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

The best simple thing that I have done to get more work without spending a lot of money is making and printing simple trifold brochures with a simple list of "services we provide" along with a few colorful pictures. I print them myself on a color laser printer on brochure paper which costs >3 cents a sheet including toner. The key is to give them out to all new customers or potential customers. I was amazed at how many "I didn't know you did this" comments I got from even existing customers. So far in 2 months I have got 3 walkways, 2 patios, and 6-8 various other add ons just from these.

2. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Great Idea Ksland.

I have the laser Printer but need to get a Color one.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We have our tri folds done at Office Depot, and like you said, people are sometimes amazed at the extent of services. We are primarily a landscape design/ install co., but some of our mowing accounts tend to think just that...we only mow lawns. Several were shocked to find out the guys who do their lawns for 45.00 a pop also do 10K+ installs, water features, hydroseeding, annual color rotations, etc...Add ons are the bread and butter from exisiting clients..up to 80% of your $$$ usually comes from 20% of your client base..don't forget to sell all you can to them.. you already have their attention / loyalty, and it doesn't cost anything to market to them...they will come to you...JMHO

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah I have done that same thing and we've picked up a lot of business from it. great idea Ksland.

5. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Amen Brothers!! Preach on!!
    What I have been amazed to find out, is the $$ is not neccessarily in the cutting of the lawn. I've made quite a bit this spring with aerating, re-seeding, spring clean ups, fertilizer spreading etc.
    With that said, I'm probably average pricing for a cut, but once they see professionalism, and find out you do more, they hire you for ALL OF IT!!
    I want 50 cutting accounts (high-end residential) this year and I would almost guarantee that I'll do 50 / 50 $$ wise, if not better, between the cutting and the other services.

That, my friends, would be over $100K per season.

If you train a crew, pay them decent, pick up a couple of commercial accounts or some condo's, you could probably run that up to $200 - $250k.

This is my first year in business and I'm kicking myself for not having done it sooner.

6. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This is your first year and you are making over 100k per year?

How much do you charge for everything?

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

100K eh? Typical BS response from someone who hasn't DONE anything yet, just has grand plans. "Gee, it's so easy. Just hire some guys, put out some brochures, and watch the money trucks pull in!"

I call Dibs on his mowers after he fails to meet his expectations, gets discouraged, and sells them for 1/2 their value to pay his bills!

8. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

my apologies if that post sounded as though that's what I'm making.
    No... I'm not.

I'm only developing a business plan. The numbers are there, and it appears to be workable.

The main point I was trying to make is that with a customer base established with cutting accounts, you should also be able to do well with other things.

Once again, I apologize for sounding excited about my lawn service. I will go grab the 20lb sledge and work for the rest of the afternoon.

Swing low... sweet chariot... comin fore to carry me home.
    Swing low...

brucec32 - when I'm ready to sell my mower, I'll call you first. Also, you may want to learn to read.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How do you print color brochures for 3 cents apiece??? My color toner cartridges cost around 30 bucks apiece. I have had estimates from Kinkos and printing shops, but they come out to .75 to a buck apiece.

10. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Reman toner cartridges online, $49 a piece times 3, prints 4500 pages. That was the cost of toner. The actual brochure paper I use is $3.99 for 300 1.1 cents a page total 4.3 cents a page according to their stats. Or course it probably doesn't print that efficient but I am sure its in the ball park. I also keep a white background so toner use is kept to a minimum.