Tip Of The Day - 11/18/05 - Insurance Q&A

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Sean Adams, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

The members of PlowSite asked if we could have a sponsored discussion where members could ask questions to an insurance agent who covers the snow and ice industry. I wanted to know if the members of LawnSite would be interested in something similar - a thread where members can ask insurance related questions and the insurance professional answers them. Let me know what you think.

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

definitely this would be a great way to shop for comparable prices. Plus lower your overhead never hurts. Who knows maybe we could learn a trick or two also that may save us money and make us smarter consumers.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I think starting with a list (and definitions) of the various types of insurance available to the industry would be a good starting point. For example, most understand the requirements for liability and workman's comp. insurance but how many owners have personal disability insurance or business interruption insurance or E&O? Who needs it and how do you know?

4. Spratz86

Spratz86 LawnSite Member

Great idea Sean! I for one have a ton of questions....

5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Great idea.
    I would like an opinion on this one:
    I am just in the process of probably turning down a local catholic church to do their church and the priests' house due to their insurance requirements. They have requested that I include in their contract a "hold harmless agreement" which basically says that I will take 100% responsibility for any possible lawsuits. What the heck! I am not incorporated, just a sole proprietor. Sure, sue me and take my business AND my house AND everything I make for the rest of my life plus my firstborn too. :angry:
    All that for a $57 (for 2 locations 5 miles apart) per snow.:dizzy:
    I think I'll pass on that one.;)

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be a great opportunty to learn the ins & outs of something that confuses a lot of people. Great idea!

7. ranger351w

ranger351w LawnSite Member

I believe we need this Knowledge base available to lco's and we all know how involved and confusing ins. is. I am all for it.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw that on plowsite and I agree, That would be an invaluable tool for us, at least we could easily figure if our insurance is taking us for a ride or not.
    I second guess some of the things my agent tells me a lot of the time.
    Like 1800 bucks semi annual commercial insurance on my truck.:angry:
    It started out at 1500 until I mentioned the diesel engine.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

SEAN

A national Insurance plan with Discount for members of LS would be nice.

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Ric - agreed....

I have spoke to a few agents who are interested in the idea of a Q&A...let's see who steps up to the plate