Tip Of The Day - 11/21/05 - Vonage

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Sean Adams, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure by now many of you have heard about Vonage - the high speed phone service. It works directly with your high speed internet connection. From what I can gather there is a flat monthly fee of $24.99 regardless of who you call, where you call, and how long you talk. I also see that all the ammenities are included - voice mail, caller ID, call forwarding, etc... Has anyone tried this or does anyone use this now?

check it out at www.vonage.com

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

No thanks! From a buddy who has had it - he said he got "kicked off" (lost his connection) too many times in the middle of a call. They'll have to work the bugs out for me to be interested.

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

makes sense... my question was always if your internet is down then your phone is crippled as well... doesn't make sense yet but I'm guessing it will eventually, like you said

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I wouldn't do it now but I believe in the near future it will be worth looking into. Phone lines (dial up) have become outdated.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

True but for the occasional user and there are still a few around payup dial ups cheap.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yup, Agreed, but I believe the other services will soon become more reasonably priced in the near future.

7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Hey Sean, the problem with VOIP is quality of service. When I was into communications up until this past April that was the concern of many companies switching over to VOIP vs. PBX or switched equipment. The failure rate for VOIP is still around 10-20% depending on whose service you use. No doubt that is the way phone service is going and will be some day, but they still have a few issues to work out. Vonage has a good idea and good product that will only get better with technology.

Buck

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

My sister has Vonage,very few drop offs,only the occasional circuits are all down message ,when attempting to dial out.She calls the United Kingdom and Scotland and Malaysia and talks for hours ,for 24.95 a month.Voice quality is excellent over her cable connection.

9. joe4

joe4 LawnSite Member

I do not like that it does not work when the power is out.

They also have a scary 911 system. There was a little girl in the news that lost a parent because 911 did not work. Also you may have to tell them you address so a small child calling 911 or unable to speak is in trouble.

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911&lid=footer_911

10. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

i just use my cell phone