Tip on best method to burn stumps?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by wkheathjr, Dec 14, 2006.

1. wkheathjr

wkheathjr LawnSite Member

I was wondering what is the best method you have used to burn stumps?

1) All stumps are more than 2 years old since loggers cut them down.
    2) Majority of stumps are pine with some maple, oak, and mahoney (sp?)

So I figured that I am going to dig some dirts around the stump giving about 2-3 feet deep. Drill holes about 6 inches to 1 feet deep on center of stump and pour some mix of old diesel, and used oil into the hole and around it.. then let it burn. What you think?

Also, I am not sure about using stump decompsitor and then stump killer made by roundup. Probably will cost me too much money in long run. I have PLENTY of oil to burn and can obtain PLENTY more so all I need to do is get more diesel and mix them with oil.
  2. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have it under control.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

How many do you have? Why not get a stump grinder?
  4. wkheathjr

Stump grinder is probably out of question.. I would say about 2,000 or maybe more maybe less.. LOL! This will be my winter project so I can stay warm out there.. LOL! and got two very large pile derbies to burn as well First one is about 400 feet by 20 feet and almost 10 feet high. Second one is about 800 feet by 25 feet and about 12-15 feet high.

Neighbors isn't going to be happy this winter due to too much smokes.
  5. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I burnt my stumps as you described. Funny as this may sound, I hooked a box fan up to blow on them after the fire burned out while they were smoldering. I also bought a bunch of cheap bags of charcoal briquets to put on them. I found some coal a barge spilled on the riverbank and used this also. They are gone now with grass growing on top of them.
  6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

drill as large a hole as deep as you can, fill cavity with ammonium nitrate then add diesel or old oil. let soak several days, add more fuel/oil to get the nitrate into the wood. Then light the nitrate/fuel soaked wood will burn very hot.

I saw a bottle of "stump remover" in a hardware store at a high price and that is what it was and directions for use. Not a bomb.

7. wkheathjr

Probably a dumb question but where can I get ammonium nitrate? Or what is alternative to it?
  8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Feed and seed store. Used as high nitrogen fertilizer.
  9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i never heard of this im gonna have to try it out
  10. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

How big are these stumps, you said you have about 2000 of them? If they are all relatively small whyh not rent a mini-ex and dig them out.