1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tipping, causing discomfort?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 18, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do any of you have a customer who tips you every month? well, i have a few, mostly are $5-$10. but, i have one customer, who has been with me for about 7 years, stuck it out through the toughest times, you know, just starting out, not showing up like im supposed to, no time for extras, etc. but in the last 3 years these problems have been eliminated , and we have operated like a professional service. here is what makes me uncomfortable. this client lives real close to my home(6 blocks), they are always asking me to do "little things", trim two small yews, remove one 10 ft arb, and take to dump, put in 1/2 yard of mulch, etc. now, for most customers, the prices would be inflated for small stuff. afterall, going down to remove one arb, and the trip to the dump, plus dumping fees, would cost around $100. i always find myself lowering the fee, trying to compensate for the tip i know they will add to the check. the tip is usually around $20 for mowing, and $30-40 for add ons. i kind of just wish they wouldnt tip me, cus this effects my pricing for these folks. they are sweet people, but i try to keep business business
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Remind them that you are not a waiter. Charge your prices and let them then decide to tip or not.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if there is a polite way to say, tell them instead of tipping you money why not tip you with extra customers. (referrals)
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If they are a good, dependable customer like you make them sound, you may want to just put up with it and keep going as you have for them if they are happy.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

just be ugly and rude to them a few times and the tip size will probably decrease.:(

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking one other option would be to try to work with these people as to "work them in" if you are still inclined to "pull your punches" on price. For instance, if they want something out of their yard, work it in on some day that you will be having other stuff go to the dump. (Many of times, people do this anyway). Just a thought.
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, your concious is bothering you about something, pay it no mind, whatever it was is history now.
    Charge a 'normal' price for any service that you do, if customer wants to tip, so be it.
    To me, that means they either like/appreciate you and/or your work and it's quality. May also mean they have more money than you think.
    You're wearing one hat now, best take dollars that come your way, and say thank you very much.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Does it all equal out? In other words, do the tips make up for extras, or even exceed the extras? If so, I don't see any need in screwing up a good thing. If there comes a point where the tips are on the decline and the customer wants more extras, point out that you have been giving them huge breaks because of the extra they paid. Until then, I say let it ride.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why are you lowering your price to compensate for the "tip"? Because they are nice people? Charge a normal fee and if they want to tip, so be it...
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Think most of us have has similar experiences. Having the same customers from when starting the business. Myself. I have customers for 27 years. If not the same owner, the same address.

It appears that you have a good thing with that one customer. If they are providing the tips regularly. I don't see what the problem is. It's up to you if you want to standardize your pricing.

And that you may want to. For reason that if you charge one customer a certain price, they may chat with them and so. "Oh no, my Bobby don't charge us that much" and they even omit the fact that they tip you........

Just a scenario you will may need to deal with.