Tipping delivery driver

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jun 28, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm wondering, do you guys ever tip the delivery driver for your materials?

ie) 5 yards of bark mulch, rocks, soil or whatever?

if so how much?

2yards, 5yards, 10yards?
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. Never tip. Why would you?
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yes, I do sometimes. Why tip? Because they dump 12 yards of garden soil for me, in 5 different spots, right up against the houses ( new constructions) where the gardens are going. So I toss him a fiver for his lunch. He likes it, and it makes my day SO much easier than if I had to wheel it from a large pile in the street. And it's not his job, his job is to put it where I want it, but in one dump usually, but the guys don't mind doing those thing for me, they know I'm good for it.
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with elephant nest on this one, I will tip them if they help me out by putting what I need where I need it. If they just dump and go or have a sh!tty attitude then they get no tip.
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a nice touch, that is remembered when I need a favor from the suply house.
  6. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to start a thread such as this.

We all work in a service business. Tips are most certainly optional, but given, quite often.

I don't tip my doctor after an office visit- but he rakes it back by overcharges my ins co.

My server at lunch today was far from being a waitress- so she got ten percent. And gets a measley hourly wage that has to pay tax on the food sales.

In England, your barkeep is paid a days wage, but wants you to spend your dough on an Irish Supper- a baked potato and six beers...... And no need to tip him, there.

So lets here it?

I tipped roll-off drivers, some delivery guys that I would see again

I forgot to mention that I enjoyed getting tipped, who doesn't?
  7. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely. I has paid me back a million times. He now drives up into areas he is not supposed to rather than dumping in the street. Its five bucks or so and I usually remember to add it into the estimate on cost of materials.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i always tip the driver. in fact, if i know the job will require a delivery, i add $20 to the estimate so i can use it to tip the driver. tell you what, i needed 8 yds of soil delivered, they were running 2 days behind on deliveries, talked to the driver and got mine that afternoon.
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

In 18 months of doing this, I've never gotten a single tip from a customer. I can count the number of beverages my customers have given me on one hand. Been striffed on payment by plenty (just sued two more today), but so far, not a single tip.

I've never tipped on b to b transactions. Brought a Gatorade to a guy who was helping me load sod once. But I've never tipped anyone.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I give a $20 tip to the guys who deliver my mulch (30-45yds per delivery)..

Usually give the guys who load my truck/trailer $5