Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smartgene, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

I can't see how landscapers should be exempt from tipping. If you are doing a one time at a reasonable to cheap price, I think a tip is in order. If I tip a girl to cut my hair for ten minutes in an air conditioned environment, and she charges me $13, why should the grass cutter not be tipped for working hard in the sun for an hour or more, for one time or yearly work?
  2. Why not just charge what you want/need, rather than leaving it up to the customer to decide how much extra you might deserve?

When I quote a price thats what I expect to be paid, no more, no less.

When I've received tips I figure that its just an extra thank you, nothing that was expected or that I want a customer to feel obligated to.
  3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. If I quote a price, that is what I believe is fair for the job.

I do not expect a tip. If I got one, that's fine, but I would be more surprised than anything.
  4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

when i send out invoices, i only expect the balances to be paid. if someone overpays and does not specifically write "tip" somewhere on the invoice stub, or check, i apply the whole amount to their balance.. giving them a small credit for next month..