Tips? A new trend? Hope So.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlleganyLawnCare, May 12, 2006.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was wondering, how many others get tips from the their clients on a regular basis? I had one lady that always tipped me an extra $5 everytime I did her lawn. Today, I had 2 other clients tip me on top of their normal bill. Mind you, I think it is great. I tip my barber (always have since I was old enough to go to one). So why not tip the person who cares cut you lawn I say? More of it!! I know it is their way of complimenting for a job well done, and a small way a token of appreciation. So, I was wondering if alot of others get tipped also. And what about your crews? How do you feel about them getting tipped? Is it against your policy or another fringe benefit of them providing outstanding service to your clientele?

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

It might be because of gas prices. I don't get tips except for x-mas tips. But I raise prices and have a fuel surcharge. But my neighbor has a old guy that has been cutting his lawn for years for $20 and he told me he gives him a tip to help with gas prices. Oddly enough he told me he tried to give the guy a $5raise last year and the guy said no that $20 was a fair price. I told him it should be $30-$35 and that is probably why he is just forcing the tip on him this year.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Bad form. Your crew should not be tipped by clients. Your clients are more than welcome to tip YOU, and you may divvy out the tip to your employees (as you see fit). Empolyees should not be privy to financial transactions between you and YOUR clientele. JMHO.

James

4. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the tip is reported to the irs as income. If not you are breaking the law.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Oy, pocket the $10 and enjoy the gumballs. Report a stolen vehicle.

James

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Oh please. I treat that like the $400 or less in interest income that doesn't need to be reported. and seeing as I got about $175 in tips last year that I didn't immediately give to the crew. I don't think I am gonna sweat it.

And just for the record the crew split about $120 in tips not including the free gatorade, soda, water and 2 times a little old lady brought out wonderbread and turkey sandwiches.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What about pennies I find on the road, do I have to report these ? :rolleyes:

8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like someone has a little sand in his vagina,,,Probably from all you guys busting his chops for newbee posts he's been making and this is his way of lashing out!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: