tips and tricks on pipe connections

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ed G, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

What do you recommend to cut CL200 pvc pipe and what do you use to quickly de-burr the pipe?

I have a pair of the pvc cutters, but that tool just smashes the thin wall pipe and my cross-cut saw leaves many burrs.

I now have 1/4 mile of pipe in my yard and a mountain of fittings in my garage. I'm almost ready to go.

How do you post photos here? I'd love to share my "after" photos of my MP Rotator install, since you all have been putting up with all these questions from a DHO (dreaded home owner).

e

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ridgid makes deburring tools for both plastic pipe and copper tubing. I don't work with pipe thinner than sch 40, on which I use a good ratchet type of cutter, like a Victor VP-30, or a Wheeler 5290. Beware of the cheesy home-center imitations of the Wheeler.

RD35155.jpg

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We use ratchet PVC cutters on 1" and below. With CL 200 you have a couple of options for cutting. You can primer the spot where you're going to cut and it then cuts like butter. We use this option when it's cold and the pipe is in the ground to keep it from pinching or shattering. The second option is to put a bit of cutting pressure on the pipe and then turning the cutter slightly which scores the pipe (and starts the initial cut). Once this "top slice" is started then you can just finish the cut all the way through.

On 1-1/4" pipe and above we use a PVC saw and make a straight cut allowing the blade to do the work. When done we just take a gloved hand, run it around the pipe and the burrs are gone. Some like to bevel but I've never found it necessary with pipe this small.

Amazing what it takes to get a good system in the ground, eh?

When you open the "Reply to Thread" window scroll down a little and there's a "Manage Attachments" button. Click that and a separate window will open that will allow you to upload pictures (max of 5 per post) with the post. The picture has to meat certain criteria before it can be posted but if it's too big/large or the wrong type of attachment it'll tell you something is wrong. After it uploads the picture them hit the "Submit Reply" button directly under the text area.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When sharing those photos, however, you will do best to upload two or more photos for a single post, so that any lack of picture compression won't turn your contributions into a dialup-internet killer.

5. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Try a battery operated sawzall, that's what we use to cut pvc with, although we don't use much p.v.c here much other than mainlines on commercial installs, we do run into it on homeowner do it yourself service calls we just use the qwik cuts from you local irrigation supply house.

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate thin wall pipe. Only way to cut that crap it to take some pvc cutters and work it back and forth and hope it cuts it without cracking.

We use all sch 40. Its alot stronger and have less problems out of it. ANd its so much easier to work with.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

twist the cutters back and forth while beginning the cut. once the blade it through the top of the pipe the rest is a piece of cake.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just use a hacksaw.

9. Like purphaze stated, primer on the blade and it cuts like butter....

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use SCH 40 because we plow in very rocky soil. Class pipe doesn't hold up very well to the rapid vibration against rocks.

Its easy to cut up to 1.25" with Victor Rachetting cutters:

[​IMG]

When I'm cutting class pipe, I typically just use a Dawn kwikCut, or some offbrand of the same thing.

[​IMG]

You need to rotate slightly as you cut with this.

I use the same Bevel's that boots posted.

Something to note is that if you are servicing a old system, DO NOT USE RACHETTING CUTTERS. I use a PVC Saw.

Old brittle PVC is more prone to shattering from the Victor cutters, especially up against a fitting where there is some primer. There's nothing worse than having to rebuild an entire manifold because the pipe shattered.