Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maple city, May 28, 2002.

1. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

When I read the thread "Gator magnum trimmer line", it was mentioned that soaking trimmer line in water keeps it from becoming brittle. There were many experienced people who did not know about this trick.

I just thought it would be interesting to hear about other things that LCOs are doing to keep equipment running smoothly and to make their jobs easier, etc.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

12 volt impact for bld changing,cut out most of the work from that chore.
    campbellhausfield puts out a good one.
    echo 50-1 w 90 octane in all 2 cycle motors,ended my 2 cycle problems . havnt hadan engine failure since. crank first or second pull on 6 different brands
    oh 2 cycle tools.
    ztr when u are ready.

3. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Will some one please expand on this talk of soaking trimmer line in water? Any trimmer line? More info please if possible.

Thank You!

4. Spay on automotive belt dressing -
    to help keep wet drive belts from slipping

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If you are having to soak your trimmer line to keep it from becoming brittle you 1) do not have enough business and/or 2) need to buy smaller spools of trimmer line.

To contribute to this thread I keep several spools of line wound and ready, when a trimmer runs out just switch and keep going.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Simple but, my water jug is square and not round. I got tired of always having the round jug roll around or off the seat of the truck.
    Pete

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

For hot weather relief, go to Walmart and get a Miracle Cool Bandana for $3-$4 and soak it in water. It will hold water for 2 days. Wear it around your neck --- it'll keep you much cooler in this heat. It's sort of like a Tree Gator for your neck!

8. robert payer

Hey Switchless,

Some times the simple ones are the best.

We keep a metal file with us to touch up mower blades on machine.

Check for deck buildup between each job to maximize discharge.

LawnSite : Helping us all to the top of our craft!

9. robert payer

Post 5 day weather report in truck. Work longer when needed if forcast is available.

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

One of my employees insisted on cleaning all equipment with
    WD-40. Not sure why or how but the equipment always looked great and he also said it helped the walk behind gas tanks from expanding in the heat. I rarely argued when someone was excited to clean equipment.