1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. PSO058

PSO058 LawnSite Member

I am new to the landscaping business, but have been in the trades for a long time. One thing to remember, is that if you have signage on your vehicle, or are wearing company logo, you are always advertising your company. So becareful what you say, do and how you driveand where your vehicle is parked (ie. corner bar at noon, strip club etc.), because you never know how many CLIENTS you could been losing before you even meet them.
    This is a great site, keep up the great posts.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

COMMUNICATE with your client keep in touch with them..ask them if they have any problems with your service.Upsell whatever xtra services you can provide for them..suggest replacing bad or ugly or dieing plants and shrubs..show them low spots that have drainage problems and offer to fix..learn how to repair sprinkler heads and learn how to operate you clients water timers if you have access to them..keep your clients watering on a schedule..and monitor how wet the grass is or is not and communicate any change in watering they need to instigate.
    Get to know your clientele.
  3. sniper-308

sniper-308 LawnSite Member

I would just like to say thanks for all the info.I am new to lawn care and have learned a lot from this thread.:usflag:
  4. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Me too. Lots of good information. Thanks again.
  5. wheebil

wheebil LawnSite Member

I know the work can get tedious so entertain yourself. I bought custom made, in-the-ear, high fidelity speakers from Ear Inc. three years ago. Best $190.00 I've spent. I use them with my MP3 player and listen to my tunes while i'm mowing or riding my Harley. The in-the-ear molds drown out 90% of the mower, blower, trimmer noise and pipe in your favorite songs. I purchased mine at a motorcycle expo.
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Excellent advise for anyone just beginning.
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Read Brian Tracy Books espcially Goals and Eat That Frog.:)
  8. tknowles

tknowles LawnSite Member

I am just getting started. What is the best way to get accounts? What do I have to offer that my competition does not?
  9. eddie06

eddie06 LawnSite Member

hi everyone i want to start my own landscaping and yard service co. will anyone tell me what i need to be leagle with the state.i live in flordia. thanks
  10. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Eddie06...I am in Daytona, Volusi County. Here for the winters. Home is Massachusetts. This summer I will return to stay. Want to start up here in Florida. Volusia County, City of Daytona, Permitting, Zoning and Planning Department of City Hall told me: 1. Proof of Liability and Worker's Comp. Insurance, 2. Receipt for the filing of Company Name, 3. Proof of permanent residence. I have done paperwork with these people, previously, as a result of damage that I suffered with my home, here in Daytona. I wanted to do the repair work myself, and as such had to register as a contractor. This is how my experience with Florida's local laws started out. After going thru the process of "pulling" several permits to do the work, everyone got to be "friends". All I had to do was to do things "their way", fill out all of the paperwork that they give you, and, of course, pay their Permit Fees. Then they let you have at it. Call when you are done, and they send the inspector out. He doesn't know what day of the week it is. After this was all done, I applied for the "Handyman's License". That allows you to cut grass and small ornamental bushed, only. BUT, I have to wait until I am a PERMANENT resident. That will be this coming August. FERTILIZATION is a whole other story. SO, go to City Hall, Permitting Department, and start asking questions. Those smiling old ladies will be more than happy to send you spinning around and around with all of the procedures that you are going to have to follow. Bring pencil and piece of paper to write down all of the instructions. And, GOOD LUCK. Let us know how you make out...JIM.