TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. compton3c

compton3c LawnSite Member

Sound advice,

question, what do u do when season gets slow, i.e. winter?

Compton3c

2. compton3c

compton3c LawnSite Member

I'd like to know what self-propelled mower and riding mower that fits through a standard single gate. I invested in an Echo SRM-261T, I'm happy with it's torque, easy starting and performance.

It's just me right now. I need help learning ways to get customers, estimate and do flowerbeds of which I don't know anything. Going door to door has resulted in a lot of fruitless yields. Your input greatly valued.

Thanks,:

:walking:

Compton3c

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

I am a new business owner & i am finding a great deal of useful advice on this thread. Why does it have to get political though.

4. TheYardBoys

TheYardBoys LawnSite Member

do the best job you can do makes your company look better

5. qualitylawncarefresno

qualitylawncarefresno LawnSite Member

I AM NEW TO THE BUSINESS TOO. I FOUND SOME GREAT INFORMATION ON THIS SITE. THEY GOT A LOT OF EXPERIENCED LCO'S THAT ARE GREAT PRIVIDING INFORMATION. WHAT I LEARNED HERE WAS TO TAKE ALL THE GOOD ADVISE AND IGNORE THE REST. I'VE GOTTEN FLYERS, FORMS, CONTRACTS, ETC. AND ALL THE INFORMATION HERE IS PRICELESS. LAWNSITE IS ONE OF THE BEST SOURCE OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO ALL THE LCO'S WHO ARE GETTING STARTED IN THIS BUSINESS. GOOD LUCK!

6. ghb

ghb LawnSite Member

any feedback on the ''quick 36's"?

7. lordmaximus240

lordmaximus240 LawnSite Member

quick 36's are taking a bite out of the market share of the big boys. I have looked and havent seen a bad remark yet. I am buyin g one this fall for gated yards

8. fordsrule

fordsrule LawnSite Member

I dont know if this has been said but if the driver doesnt connect the trailer then the driver should walk around and make sure it is connected properly check the lights and make sure things are tied down. Just somethin i was tought during one of the meetings for the auxilary to the fire department. solves everyones problems of having something go wrong whether it be responding to a call with the f.d. or jsut working every day.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

pull out your valve stems on your mowers tires and fill them with tire sealer ( green slime or other ) replace stems and air them back up. There is nothing worse than a flat tire on mower when your out in the field working, if you hit a nail or something else they will seal up all by themselves. Alway's keep a complete tool set with you as well as spare nuts and bolts you never know when you might throw off a belt or a bolt falls off.

10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

If I had not read this post, it probably would have never happened.

Now I know the REAL need for having the chains and tow rope in the truck, as well as a Comalong, for those areas where you cannot get the truck to to pull it out. Those are going in my trailer today!!!