1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. ASHLEYS LAWN

ASHLEYS LAWN LawnSite Member

JOHN DEER has a new cordless impact that works well with changing blades or tires it sells for about 265.00

2. Cutman007

Cutman007 LawnSite Member

Great! info & advice, It's amazing how much I forgot in 10 years :laugh:
    Thanks to Everybody!!

3. Landscape Precision Inc.

Landscape Precision Inc. LawnSite Member

There is a great deal of info here. Thanks you fellas :drinkup:

4. BareFeet

BareFeet LawnSite Member

Get Slime ..it actually works....i have pulled roofing nails out of my tractor tires and it sealed them right up

5. gary p

gary p LawnSite Member

HI ANDY I AM FED UP WITH TRUCK DRIVING IN DALLAS IM MOVING TO THE COUNTRY AND GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY IS IT WORKING FOR YOU SO FAR MY TAX MAN TOLD ME JUST GIVE HIM MY RECIEPTS FOR EVERY THING AND DONT WORRY ABOUT ALL THE POLITIC PART OF IT IM NOT SURE THIS IS HOW I REPLY ITS MY FIRST TIME

6. BareFeet

BareFeet LawnSite Member

if you are really serious get an accountant to help you the paper work and form an LLC...paper work is a big part of any bussiness and it can overwelm you very quickly...be fare with your pricing but dont work for free just because you dont think that you have enogh customers...trust me they really dont appreciate you working cheap and a legitimate bussiness deserves legitimate pricing...you aint no crack head

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Great advice for the 20th time!

8. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

where did you get your lia insurance from... i live in brandon florida.... what all does that cover you for......

9. aclane2000

aclane2000 LawnSite Member

If you're hire employees, hire guys who know more than you do about lawn care. pay them as much as you can.

Also, if you are not the one doing the actual mowing, you have to realize what a profit margin is.
    If you have guys mow a $25 lawn for you, your expenses (wages for travel and work time, gas, equipment, insurence, ect.) when its all said and done might be $20. You made $5. if you increase you price to $30 you just doubled your profit.
    Also, you have to realize that yards on the same street are gold. We average 30-50% more PROFIT on yards next to each other. Do WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO to keep these customers. Suck it up. Kiss their feet. Spend extra time every now and then.

One more thing,
    Do extra stuff for people that they are not expecting, BUT ONLY IF THEY WILL NOTICE. If its not obveous you need to mention that you did it for them. Pulling weeds in the flower beds is a good example of this.

-andy

10. cut-1

cut-1 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for software? ( billing,books,ect...)thank you: