1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. puppetguy

puppetguy LawnSite Member
    from indy

Can anyone help me with finding a good business card lay out or comp. to deal with. I'm just starting out this year and want to have a really nice card to us.
    You can email me if it is better.
  2. JBendever

JBendever LawnSite Member

Try OvernightPrints.com or VistaPrints.com
  3. puppetguy

puppetguy LawnSite Member
    from indy

Thanks Joe,

Very well put. I am starting my very own new lawn care business this season and have so much to learn. This Lawnsite.com is the best thing out there for all of us.:dancing:
  4. nathannc

nathannc LawnSite Member

I hope everyone takes your advice to heart. That high pitched ringing sound will never, I mean never leave you. I have the same problem except in both ears. If you haven't already, try white noise at night. Also, it has been reccommended to me to try Ginko for a few months.
  5. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

Maybe I will get a response in this forum. I am another new guy on the block and thought I had it all planned out until I found this website. I already have a tractor business where I do ok but now I will be going after the lawn business in my area. What do you guys think about a Kubota zd326 diesel z turn with a 60” deck? Should I go with a 72” deck and a larger model? Most of my target area is large 1 acre plus estates in my area so I want something to get it done good, fast, and reliable. What do you guys recommend for a model of blower and edger by Stihl? I have the truck, the trailer and about everything else just need some veteran advice here.
    Great site and I hope all your growing seasons last an extra month
  6. digsahole

digsahole LawnSite Member

Hi every one I,am to starting out new this year on my own I have Been working in landscaping for over 20 years for a big nursery but not on my own and not mowing lawns a lot nervous although i would say this is a good start thanks for all the good info all!
  7. proweedeater

proweedeater LawnSite Member

Be careful around fence posts, mailboxs and vinal sidding when weedeating. Customers dont want to see their property being destroyed by weedeater string. Dont get to close, if you have to reach down and pull weeds if you think your going to do damage to something. And watch out for windows at all times, you might not even realize you broke one, I've hit them from 40 yards away. Its gonna happen but pay attention and try to minnimize how often it does.
  8. proweedeater

proweedeater LawnSite Member

I have seen a few people suggest fix a flat (green slime) as a quick fix for flats. From a mechanics stand point that stuff is a mess and a pain in the arss. If you ever have to replace the tire (which you will) who ever does the work will not be happy. If you must use it though be sure to let whoever changes the tire know, the gas it creates can be explosive. I would just keep a plug kit on board and a air tank or small compressor.
  9. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I just had to replace 2 rims because the Fix A Flat rusted the rims beyond repair(bought the mower used and ran it for yrs and found this problem when it was time to replace the tires),USE A PUG KIT, It will save u $$$$$ in the long run!!
  10. SongBird LawnCare

SongBird LawnCare LawnSite Member

eye protection is a must.. ABSOLUTELY...

and ear as well...